Sales Development Representative, SMB & Mid-Market
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We have found that having a growth mindset, a hunger to learn, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passionate personality set people up to thrive as Toptal Sales Development Representatives. This makes sense when you look at our high-performing, collaborative, and enthusiastic team here at Toptal.
As a Sales Development Representative, you will work closely with - and learn from - Business Development Executives to seek new target accounts and expand existing accounts up to $500M in annual revenue. Toptal is in hyper-growth mode, and this role is instrumental in keeping us on our upward trajectory. This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about selling and looking to use this opportunity as a launchpad into outside sales. Learn firsthand how your efforts lead to opportunities for the company and become skilled in researching potential customers, creative outreach, and enticing potential clients.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
Begin the Relationship: As the first point of contact for clients, you will enthusiastically explain Toptal’s vision, pinpoint opportunities, and generate interest. Through lead-generation activities and cold-calling, you will prospect, educate, qualify, and develop sales-ready leads and opportunities.
Client and Industry Knowledge: Clients are at the heart of everything we do. As the first point of contact for clients, you will be building rapport through strategic outreach and a well-rounded client and industry knowledge. Researching clients and staying informed on industry trends will be keys to your success.
Collaborate with team members: You will collaborate with your team and Business Development Executives to pursue opportunities, recommend appropriate follow-up actions, and schedule qualified meetings. Communicating via Zoom and Slack is critical to maintaining a high level of collaboration and clear communication within the team.
Growth and Development: Our team has an aversion to complacency. We are always looking to improve both individually and as a team. Being open to and implementing feedback will be critical keys to success in this role and at Toptal. As you become more comfortable in the role, you will help evolve our demand generation strategy and tactics by sharing best practices.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our value proposition, and our story.
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand how you can utilize our incredible global team to build client relationships and drive success.
- Learn the breadth of Toptal’s impact on the world’s largest companies.
- Grasp the importance of the SDR function to the success of Toptal.
- Understand our sales method and our selling process to set you up for success.
In the first month, expect to:
- Set MBOs with your manager & determine your ideal career path at Toptal (whether sales executive, marketing, or other).
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls, cold calls, and role-play scenarios.
- Learn how to use Saleforce.com CRM, as well as other SaaS outreach tools (SalesLoft, DiscoverOrg, SalesNavigator).
- Be integrated into your pod and partnered with a Business Development Executive.
- Learn the process for outreach, including calling, emailing, and LinkedIn messaging. Implement an outreach process and hit 1-month objectives.
- Learn how to analyze industry drivers, business problems, and target buyers.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully ramped into the SDR team.
- Uncover new opportunities with existing accounts and target accounts that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Hit call/email quotas and fully ramped objectives.
- Become proficient in using our SaaS tools.
- Learn how to maintain excellent data integrity in Salesforce.com.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continuously hit fully ramped quotas and objectives.
- Assist with training and onboarding new SDRs.
- Build new and existing client relationships, and expand Toptal’s partnerships with new and existing ones. accounts, and continue to execute account plans.
- Suggest, implement and experiment with new lead and demand generation activities.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a mentor to new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model, and how proper sales development practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Continue expanding your sales knowledge by using the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Hit 100% of personal target monthly critical metrics.
- Knowledgeable. Broad understanding of business challenges encountered by SMB (up to $500M in annual revenue) clients.
- Critical thinking. Critically think through the challenges clients face to create new opportunities.
- Perseverance. Be relentless and push towards your goal.
- Curiosity. A desire to understand people, their problems, their companies, and their industries.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Resourceful. Think about target accounts as your own business - we want self-starters who are passionate about hunting for new accounts, and who thrive with the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Proactive. Understand our mission and do the work required to drive us to that goal, by following a process and also being creative.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems this role is meant to solve. Must have the ability to take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.