Senior UX Researcher
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is seeking an exceptional Senior UX Researcher who will help guide and inspire cross-functional teams by uncovering meaningful human-centered insights to drive great design and innovation for our Product teams. Your work will be vital to how we understand the needs of our clients, talent and internal operations to define a product roadmap that effectively addresses our users’ key problems.
As a Senior UX Researcher at Toptal, you will execute a range of formative and iterative research methods impacting both product direction and experience design. In addition, you should be curious, driven, methodical, an effective communicator and comfortable in a fast-moving organization. If you’re excited to make an impact in a rapidly growing company, this role is a great fit for you.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Identify and execute research based on business needs, project goals, and analysis of existing product designs.
- Continuously gather knowledge about customers needs through various channels (e.g. shadowing operations teams, customer interviews/feedback).
- Design and conduct remote research utilizing a mixed methods approach including in-depth interviews, surveys, and concept/prototype testing.
- Communicate findings and opportunities in clear, concise, and compelling ways to all relevant stakeholders including Executives.
- Foster collaboration with Product Managers, Designers, Marketers and Operations to translate insights into actionable recommendations to help Toptal grow.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with our product, the product goals, and those you will work closely with.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal product suite.
- Start shadowing key operational teams including, growth product, publications, marketing strategy, etc.
In the first month, expect to:
- Start developing research plans.
- Learn the Toptal product suite.
- Learn how the Research team and Growth Product teams operate.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start participating in user research calls.
- Fully support the Growth Product team in organizing and conducting user research and synthesizing findings.
- Be fully embedded into our Growth Product team.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have established a solid cadence of user research across your product domain.
In the first year, expect to:
- Continue to execute high quality research, with speed and efficiency while consistently adding to our understanding of the user.
- B.A./B.S. or M.A./M.S. in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology or a related degree.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience designing and executing research on digital platforms including web, desktop, and mobile. We expect to hear stories of how your research influenced product roadmaps and informed design decisions.
- Complete understanding of best practices for conducting research (qualitative and quantitative) in user experience, product design, or technology contexts. Bonus points if you have done this remotely in the past.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills with a proven ability to turn research results into product insights.
- An amazing portfolio of written project plans and results presentations that demonstrate the use of a variety of research methodologies to contribute solutions to solve complex problems.
- Strong understanding of statistics concepts and how to apply them in the context of user experience research.
- Self-motivated and execution-oriented. Ability to execute at a high level of quality in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Ability to create compelling presentations and confidently convey insights through storytelling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a range of audiences.
Ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
- Experience conducting remote research is considered a plus.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.