SMB Account Specialist - North America
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an SMB Account Specialist, you will work closely with and learn from the SMB Inside Sales and Account Management teams to seek new target accounts and help expand existing accounts. We’re in hyper-growth mode, and this role is instrumental in keeping us on our upward trajectory. This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about sales and customer service, looking to use this opportunity as a launchpad for your sales career at Toptal. Learn firsthand how your efforts lead to opportunities for the company and become skilled in researching potential customers, creative outreach, enticing potential clients, and helping to resolve client issues.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Begin the Relationship: As the first point of contact for future SMB clients, you will enthusiastically explain Toptal’s vision, pinpoint opportunities, and generate interest. Prospect, educate, qualify, and develop sales-ready leads and opportunities through lead-generation activities and cold-calling.
- Client and Industry Knowledge: Clients are at the heart of everything we do. You will be building rapport through strategic outreach and a well-rounded client and industry knowledge. Researching clients and staying informed on industry trends will be keys to your success.
- Collaborate with Team Members: Collaborate with the sales team to pursue opportunities, recommend appropriate follow-up actions, and schedule qualified meetings. Communicating via Zoom and Slack is critical to maintaining a high level of collaboration and clear communication within the team.
- Growth and Development: Our team has an aversion to complacency. We are always looking to improve both individually and as a team. Being open to and implementing feedback will be critical keys to success in this role and at Toptal. As you become more comfortable in the role, you will help evolve our demand generation strategy and continue to help provide our customers with a high level of service.
In the first week, expect to:
- Grasp the importance of the SMB sales function to the success of Toptal.
- Understand our sales method and our selling process to set you up for success.
- Become familiar with the various platforms and systems Toptal utilizes to offer timely and exceptional client support.
- Complete customized onboarding to successfully navigate through the organization and understand the moving parts that make up the Toptal business model.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls, cold calls, and role-play scenarios.
- Be integrated into the pod and partner with the Inside Sales executives and Account Managers per management’s directive and be ready to start targeting strategic accounts.
- Learn the process for outreach, including calling, emailing, and LinkedIn messaging. Implement an outreach process and hit 1-month objectives.
- Learn the key internal and external stakeholders and how clients can best be served by the different Toptal teams during their lifecycle.
- Have a solid understanding of the Toptal platform as it relates to clients and the most frequent request processes.
- Gain a comprehensive working knowledge of the client experience from start to finish.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully ramped and integrated into the CS Sales team.
- Uncover new opportunities with existing accounts and target accounts that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Hit call/email quotas and fully ramped objectives.
- Become proficient in using our SaaS tools.
- Learn how to maintain excellent data integrity using our CRM.
- Actively engage with internal teams at Toptal and work collaboratively to review and resolve assigned support tasks.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continuously hit fully ramped quotas and objectives.
- Build new and existing client relationships, expand Toptal’s partnership with new and existing accounts, and continue to execute account plans.
- Suggest, implement and experiment with new lead and demand generation activities for new and existing leads.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built a portfolio of accounts and active clients.
- Become a mentor to new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model, and how proper sales development practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Continue to expand your portfolio of new accounts, accelerate growth in existing accounts, and use the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Set KPI’s with the manager for success.
- Continue to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in customer service and/or sales over a variety of communication channels (email, Slack, and chat).
- Knowledge of the software development field is a significant plus.
- Communication. Communication is the lifeblood of relationships both internal and external to Toptal. Reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies.
- Collaboration. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong, customer-centric relationships, both internally and externally.
- Curiosity. A desire to understand people, their problems, their companies, and industries.
- Resourceful. Think about target accounts as your own business - we want self-starters who are passionate about hunting for new accounts, and who thrive with the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Team-oriented. Cooperative and promotes an environment of continuous improvement.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Problem solver. Must be capable of uncovering issues and resolving them quickly and effectively.
- Time management. Must be able to work independently and manage time and resources efficiently; can successfully manage competing priorities.
- You don’t take yourself too seriously; you have a sense of humor and are comfortable with sarcasm. This position does sit on our Sales teams, after all.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.