SVP of Business Operations
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the SVP of Business Operations, you will be a valuable member of Toptal’s Executive Team responsible for leading the vision and growth of Toptal’s Business Operations function. Your team will be comprised of 5 major subfunctions: Business Analytics, Risk & Compliance, Operational Infrastructure, Knowledge Management, and the Toptal Support Center. With your subfunction Directors, you will craft a vision and roadmaps to grow and strengthen each team and the services it provides to the entire company. Under your leadership, the Business Operations team will further develop into a trusted business partner that supports Toptal’s hyper-growth.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will draw upon your extensive experience running operational teams to lead Business Operations into the next stage of its evolution. You will work with our CEO to develop a long-term vision for the function, ensuring all current and future operational needs are met. In addition to leading all Business Operations teams, you may work on frameworks and roadmaps for critical operational initiatives at Toptal. You will be a thought partner to other Executive team members and senior leaders providing a strategic perspective on operational issues related to their OKRs and initiatives. This role is a critical leadership role and the backbone of Toptal’s ability to succeed.
You are responsible for each of your teams being fully staffed, with strong leadership and mentoring and guiding those leaders to ensure their success.
- With Business Analytics, you will use your expertise to provide feedback and guidance on some of the hardest business challenges and set a standard for using certified data to drive independent, unbiased decisions.
- Alongside your Director of Risk & Compliance, you will ensure the company’s risks have been properly categorized, assessed and mitigated.
- As Toptal is growing rapidly, new operational infrastructure needs will arise and you will work with your team to identify and prioritize solutions including building cross-functional frameworks and recommending end-to-end systemic approaches.
- You will guide the Director of Toptal Support Center to ensure Toptal’s clients and talent are receiving world-class support, guiding the team in efficiency and value added-processes.
- You will be responsible for the Company’s Knowledge Management System and will work to ensure all Company Policies and Processes are documented and kept up-to-date.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Meet with key Executive and senior leaders across the company to deep dive into understanding Toptal’s functions and how each supports the company’s mission and objectives.
- Start to develop an in-depth understanding of Toptal’s operations and business models.
- Meet with your Senior Leadership Team, to understand the current roadmaps and goals for the Business Operations subfunctions.
In the first month, expect to:
- Review the Business Operations 2022 Roadmap and make adjustments to vision and plan, while ensuring the quarterly goals are met.
- Understand current Business Operations initiatives in flight and their business outcomes and project plans.
- Lead the monthly Business Operations internal team and external stakeholder calls.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Using your understanding of Toptal and your expertise in prioritization, update the Business Operations Roadmap to ensure the most critical areas of operational infrastructure are invested in during your first 12 months.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Business Analytics to scale the Center of Excellence, ensuring the team is fully staffed to support every function at Toptal in their metrics, business analytics and data analytics needs.
- Develop quarterly OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) for your team, as well as a quarterly and annual planning process.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Close major gaps outlined in the Business Operations Roadmap, ensuring all the business outcomes delivered by the team are at an exceptional level.
- Work closely with the Director of Operational Infrastructure on several key initiatives ensuring business outcomes are clearly defined and cross-functional stakeholders are aligned.
- Ensure all Business Operations teams have solid team training, career paths, and developmental opportunities.
In the first year, expect to:
- Achieve recognition as an expert at the company for your areas of responsibility.
- Meet/exceed stakeholder expectations for the delivery of world-class operational services.
- Have a strong operational infrastructure in place to ensure quality and consistency across all activities within the Business Operations function.
- 15+ years of operational leadership experience at the VP or C-level at a technology or hyper-growth company.
- Minimum 5+ years leading a Business Analytics team/department.
- Strong expertise in Risk & Compliance challenges with a track record of successful mitigations.
- Technical expertise or a background of working with Engineering and Product Teams on operational infrastructure required to scale a company.
- Strong background in operations management, change management and a successful track record in mentoring other leaders in these areas.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Business, or a related field preferred.
- World-class analytical skills.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to work with a wide range of stakeholders from senior executives to individual contributors.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently, and prioritize execution, as well as mentor others to do the same.
- Adaptable. Comfortable managing changing priorities, learning new skills, and building consensus across varied senior stakeholder groups.
- Ownership. You are a dependable leader who takes responsibility for your success as well as the success of the entire team.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.