Houston, TX, United States
Member since December 9, 2017
Jeff enjoys connecting special situations with alternative capital. As detailed at www.anapolsky.com, Jeff is a graduate of Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School with experience in multiple industries. As a seasoned professional, he creates credible financial projections, solves operational hurdles, manages debt and equity financings, negotiates mergers/acquisitions/divestitures, and helps clients reach milestones and achieve targets.
- Adjunct Professor2014 - PRESENTRice University - Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business
Focus areas: Financial Restructuring, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Bank Covenants, Debt Workouts, Debt Restructuring, Debtor & Creditor Management, Credit/Debt, Credit Analysis, Lending, Term Loans, Asset Valuation, Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR), Working Capital Management, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), 13-week Cash Flow, Cash Management, Cash Flow Modeling, Comparable Company Analysis, Private Company Valuation, Value Investing, DCF Valuation, Valuation Analysis, Debt Structuring, Bank Debt Raises, Due Diligence
- Taught Corporate Financial Restructuring (MGMT954).
- Designed and taught the Advanced Financial Restructuring course (MGMT955).
- Reviewed key Bankruptcy Code sections, automatic stay, fraudulent transfers, insolvency, 363 sales, disclosure statements, reorganization plans, cramdown, appeals, and many other topics.
- Led simulations for distressed M&A, including 363 sale auctions.
- Created a strong network among executives at energy companies.
- Managing Director2014 - PRESENTAnapolsky Advisors, Inc.
Focus areas: Financial Restructuring, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Debtor & Creditor Management, Forecasting, Transaction Modeling, Valuation, Working Capital Management, Debt Workouts, Debt Restructuring, Bank Debt Raises, Private Equity, Investor Decks, Value Investing, Cash Flow Modeling, Revenue & Expense Projections, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Credit/Debt, CFO, Bank Covenants, Capital Raising, Pitch Deck Financials, Financial Advisory, Pro Forma Financial Statements, M&A (Buy-side), 13-week Cash Flow, Private Company Valuation
- Created bottoms-up financial projections, produced investor presentations for fundraising, negotiated with creditors and investors, restructured balance sheets, provided expert testimony for litigation and arbitration.
- Engy Containers. Served as the debtor’s financial advisor to resolve investor dispute, raise capital to complete manufacturing plant build-out, and refinance bank debt. Created a bottom-up financial model and investor presentation to solicit capital from numerous potential investors.
- Gautier Steel. Served as expert witness for arbitration involving dispute between majority and minority shareholders. Dispute arose after company restructured bar mill company as employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) and plate steel mill as standalone subsidiary.
- Heights Hospital. Engaged as financial advisor for multi-step refinancing of construction bridge loan following the renovation of a 144-bed community hospital in Houston Heights. Created confidential investor presentation, negotiated with multiple potential lenders, and assisted with reaching agreements with existing and future tenants.
- Humble Surgical Hospital. Served as Chief Restructuring Officer for outpatient surgical hospital following one ruling favoring Aetna ($41 million) and another ruling against Cigna ($16 million) regarding nearly identical allegations about past billing practices. Prepared the first-day declaration and testified at the first-day hearing. Created financial model for 13-week cash budget and use of cash collateral. Evaluated credit agreement, third-party contracts, employee functions, gross-to-net accounts receivable, cash management system, leases, competition, and deferred capital expenditures.
- Distressed Credit Analyst, High Yield and Leveraged Loans2010 - 2014T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc.
Focus areas: High-yield Accounts, Term Loans, Bond Indices, Debt Workouts, Debt Restructuring, Debt Structuring, Debtor & Creditor Management, Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Subordinated Debt, Convertible Debt, Financial Modeling, Investment Thesis, Investment Monitoring, Credit Investing, Value Investing, Investment Summaries, Credit Risk, Credit/Debt, Financial Risk Assessment, Credit Analysis, M&A Modeling, Cash Flow Modeling, Valuation Modeling, Valuation, Asset Valuation, Recapitalization, Return Analysis, Financial Restructuring, M&A Earn-out Agreements, Rollups, Credit Underwriting
- Generated reported returns of 47% over a 1 year period and 21% over a 3 year period by investing over $300 million in distressed and other special situations for $25 billion High Yield and Leveraged Loan mutual funds.
- Recommended investments in a wide variety of special situations, including: airlines (American Airlines), chemicals (Chemtura, Tronox), consumer products (CEDC, Kodak, Reddy Ice), education (Bar/Bri, Cengage, McGraw-Hill), energy (Dynegy, OGX/OSX, Opti Canada), financial institutions (American Capital, Ares Capital, Assured Guaranty, Lehman, Lender Processing Services, MBIA, MF Global, MGIC, Radian, Rescap), manufacturing (Newpage, Palm Harbor), media (Dex, GateHouse, Getty Images, Lee Enterprises, McClatchy, Nielsen, Spanish Broadcasting, Trader), municipal (Detroit, Ireland, Puerto Rico), retail (A&P, Radio Shack, Sears, ToysRUs), telecommunications (Clearwire, Nextel Int’l, Nokia), and utilities (CELPA, Energy Future Holdings, Tepco).
- Analyzed bond indentures and credit agreements, reviewed offering memoranda, created financial projections, calculated absolute and relative values, researched legal issues and assessed risks.
- Avoided over $10 million in losses by creating strategies for intractable positions that conventional methods could not resolve.
- Represented firm on creditors’ committees for workouts. Helped select counsel and manage litigation. Testified as firm designated witness. Served on trustee oversight committee for post-bankruptcy distributions.
- Vice President, Special Situations Group2006 - 2010American Capital, Ltd.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Corporate Finance, Debt Restructuring, Debtor & Creditor Management, Subordinated Debt, Convertible Debt, Equity Financing, Private Equity, Growth Equity, Debt Workouts, Debt Structuring, Bank Debt Raises, Senior Secured Debt, Private Equity Valuation, Credit/Debt, Pricing Strategy, Capital Structuring, Junior Capital, Acquisition Accounting, Working Capital Management, Budgeting, Recapitalization, Term Loans, M&A Modeling, Cash Flow Modeling, Financial Modeling, Leveraged Buyout Model, Transaction Modeling, Credit Risk, Transaction Structuring, Bank Covenants, Valuation, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Investment Thesis, Investment Memoranda, Credit Investing, M&A Earn-out Agreements, Market Research, Financial Restructuring, Expense Reduction, Valuation Analysis, Rollups, Debt Raises, Credit Underwriting, Due Diligence, Cash Flow Forecasting, Investment Portfolio Management, Cost-benefit Analysis, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Capital Expenditure Planning, Revenue & Expense Projections, Asset-based Lending, 13-week Cash Flow, Pro Forma Financial Statements
- Served as an investment professional for buyouts and financings of distressed middle market companies for private equity firm with $12 billion under management.
- Managed teams of associates, attorneys, accountants and other professionals to close 11 buyouts and financings.
- Led the deal team for a $21 million senior loan to a bankrupt fourth-generation fine art gallery specializing in Early American art. Managed due diligence, drafted term sheets, negotiated credit agreements for debtor-in-possession loan. Coordinated multi-party negotiations for reorganization.
- Orchestrated a $40 million bargain purchase of 160-year old producer of sugar and chocolate products. Negotiated deal terms and purchase agreement. Managed all aspects of due diligence, financial modeling, capital structure and transition. Terminated pension plan and revised union contract. Replaced 9 of 11 executives.
- Served as deal team leader for buyouts of three manufacturers of precision machined aerospace engine components involving domestic and international facilities totaling over $150 million. Managed all aspects of due diligence, industry research, site visits, and customer calls. Negotiated term sheets, purchase agreement, non-compete agreements and other contracts. Created a merger model and integration plan.
- Corporate Attorney, Financial Restructuring Group2002 - 2006Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Focus areas: Bank Covenants, Debt Restructuring, Recapitalization, Debt Workouts, Debt Structuring, Debtor & Creditor Management, Subordinated Debt, Senior Secured Debt, Bank Debt Raises, Debt Raises, Convertible Debt, Equity Financing, Equity Valuation, Equity Capital, Equity Derivatives, Private Equity, Investment Thesis, Investment Briefs, Investment Summaries, Investment Memoranda, Credit Investing, Credit Risk, Credit/Debt, Credit Analysis, Working Capital Management, Financial Risk Assessment, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Restructuring, Rollups
- Specialized in corporate reorganization, including complex Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts, for leading international law firm.
- Advised clients on matters involving a mix of contract negotiations and litigation tactics.
- Represented creditors’ committees, debtors, acquirers and individual creditors.
- Analyzed asset sales, reorganization plans, refinancings, liquidations and other turnaround strategies to increase recoveries for creditors.
- Drafted first-day motions and other pleadings.
- Juris Doctor in Law1997 - 1999Harvard Law School - Cambridge, MA
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in General Management1996 - 1999Harvard Business School - Boston, MA
- Bachelor's degree in Math1989 - 1993University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA
- Bachelor's degree in Finance1989 - 1993The Wharton School - Philadelphia, PA