Managing Director | Chief Executive Officer
Seshadri Nathan Securities Pvt. Ltd.
2017 - PRESENT
- Founded an advisory firm in 2006 to help investors in India with their value investing strategies for equity investments, to assist individuals with financial planning, and to engage in corporate and management consulting.
- Wrote research reports and conducted analyses on Indian stocks for private clients.
- Invested in an Indian technology startup whose application facilitates home delivery of pharmaceutical drugs; advised them on structuring further rounds of investments, which resulted in an approximate ten-fold value increase.
- Advised a client in the logistics sector on how to resolve a shareholder dispute; also recommended financial reporting and control processes.
- Invested family money in Indian equity markets, beating the index benchmark by approximately ten percentage points.
Focus areas: Investment Thesis, Investment Summaries, Valuation, Value Investing, Valuation Modeling, Equity Research, Equity Valuation
Senior Manager, Valuations - Transaction Advisory Services
Ernst & Young LLP
2013 - 2017
- Built and reviewed valuation models for banking companies in the Middle East and Europe; modeled loan loss provisions and adequacy of regulatory capital.
- Advised petroleum and petrochemical clients, sovereign wealth funds, and investment holding companies in the Middle East on the valuation of assets, intangibles, and investments (associates and subsidiaries).
- Advised sovereign wealth funds, real estate, and investment holding companies in the Middle East on the valuation of real estate properties and hotel properties in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas.
- Valued intellectual property (software, mobile apps delivering video and other content, football player contracts, service management contracts for hotels) and other intangibles for clients in the asset management, hospitality, real estate, and entertainment industries. Prepared detailed purchase price allocation models.
- Conducted research to arrive at transaction comparables and trading multiples for valuation of assets (ships, oil tankers, real estate, hotel) and investments.
- Conducted commercial and financial due diligence on a specialty ink company in the Middle East for acquisition by the world's largest ink and pigment products company; recommended structuring of the venture.
- Prepared M&A and leveraged buyout (LBO) models as well as prepared investor decks. Advised on structuring acquisitions, spinoffs, and sales.
- Built and reviewed models valuing non-traded derivatives (interest rate swaps, currency forwards, commodity forwards, forex options, structured products, Islamic finance/Shariah products) for clients in the banking, insurance, and power sectors. Valued employee stock options for banking, financial services, and other service companies in the Middle East and India.
Focus areas: Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Asset Valuations, Equity Valuation, Liability Valuations, Private Equity Valuation, Contingent Valuation Method, 409A Valuation, Investor Decks, Financial Options, Fairness Opinion Reports, Transaction Modeling, Banking Provision Models, Leveraged Buyout Model, M&A Modeling, Transaction Structuring, Purchase Price Allocation, Derivative Pricing, Intellectual Property Valuation
Co-founder | Managing Director
JRSCA Consulting and Advisory Pvt. Ltd.
2012 - 2013
- Co-founded the company and spun off a consulting operations services from the larger firm; structured the service offerings and scaled the organization to more than 100 employees in one year.
- Assisted with incorporating companies for clients in India and supported clients through the initial years. Served on the board of directors as a resident director for international clients.
- Advised foreign clients on investing in India: corporate laws, international taxation, and new business issues.
Focus areas: Financial Advisory, Business Advisory, Operations Finance, Finance Systems, Financial Strategy, Operations
JRS & Company
2012 - 2013
- Conducted financial and corporate due diligence on targets (a 200-bed hospital and a 250-bed hospital) for a foreign healthcare investor.
- Advised on the valuations of Indian companies in the video gaming and construction management software industries for acquisition by non-Indian investors.
Focus areas: Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Real Estate Finance, Intellectual Property Valuation, Property Investment, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Asset Valuations, Financial Regulations, Venture Funding, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Due Diligence
Head of Advisory Services and Research
Capital Eye for Business Consultancy KSCC
2010 - 2011
- Advised on valuation as well as prepared teaser and detailed presentations for finding equity investors in banking and financial services sectors (raised USD 10 million for a Middle Eastern microfinance company; USD 20 million for a financial services company; USD 10 million for a financial services company), commercial real estate (raised USD 50 million), industrial gases sector (raised USD 10 million for a company in the Middle East; USD 20 million for a North African BOT gas processing plant) and electrical equipment supplies sector (raised USD 12 million for a Kuwaiti company).
- Conducted due diligence on legal, commercial, and financial matters for the acquirer of a USD 20 million Kuwaiti medical equipment company.
- Recommended restructuring scenarios for a USD 45 million Middle Eastern apparel retailer.
- Prepared investment reports and briefs for clients in the Middle East who were looking to make outbound investments in Europe, Asia, and North America.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Pitch Deck Financials, Investment Memoranda, Investment Briefs, Property Investment, Valuation, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Due Diligence
Assistant Vice President - Corporate Finance
First Qatar Real Estate Development KSCC
2008 - 2009
- Prepared financial models and lender packages to raise bank funding for two Qatari real estate development projects (USD 100 million mixed-use development project nearing completion and a new USD 300 million project).
- Created financial models to evaluate the returns of potential real estate acquisitions in Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar that ranged in value from USD 10-to-30 million. Researched office, retail, and residential real estate demand and drivers in these geographies to validate assumptions.
- Improved the quality of investor communication and lender packages by providing financials and the status of development projects on a timely basis which resulted in us obtaining a corporate rating from S&P.
Focus areas: Investor Communications, Investor Decks, Real Estate Finance, Investment Briefs, Investment Summaries, Investment Monitoring, Property Investment, Credit Analysis, Hedging, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
Manager - Corporate Finance
RSM (McGladrey) International
2007 - 2008
- Researched industry demand, company development model, customer base, and competitors to prepare valuation (public company comparables, precedent transactions, and DCF analysis) for the sale of stake in a USD 175 million Kuwaiti information technology company with US Department of Defense contracts.
- Prepared a financial model of a combined entity for the USD 1.7 billion proposed merger of two public Kuwaiti real estate companies; quantified the synergies and benefits of scale as well as assisted management in preparing the pitch book for the transaction.
- Researched the local market, proposed projects, and determined drivers of demand to prepare the placement memorandum for USD 500 million equity in a Qatari real estate development company.
- Valued real estate holdings for a USD 200 million GCC retail operation as well as proposed a sale and leaseback of the real estate. Prepared a report outlining the transaction rationale; accounting, tax, and strategic issues; financial implications; and transaction structure for the spinoff/sale and leaseback.
- Researched markets and demand for the product offerings in order to prepare the business plan (USD 20 million offset business venture) for a professional education venture covering Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC), North Africa, and Levant regions.
- Analyzed the historical trade book and order books from the Kuwait Stock Exchange for the public market acquisition of a 30% stake in a real estate company; proposed acquisition strategies to minimize overall costs and to take advantage of timing.
Focus areas: Corporate Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Private Equity, Private Company Valuation, Valuation, Valuation Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Purchase Price Allocation, Investment Memoranda, Valuation Multiples, Real Estate Finance, Due Diligence
Corporate Finance Analyst
Nest Technologies Corp
2002 - 2007
- Valued the US commercial real estate property using a pro forma NOI for a USD 25 million investment; prepared the financial models with sensitivity to borrowing rate and other relevant factors.
- Prepared financial models for the sale of a contract manufacturing operation to PE funds (partial equity sale in USD 120 million company in India) and for the sale of an S corporation to a strategic acquirer (equity value of USD 10 million in a US cable TV monitoring equipment company). Wrote sections of investment memorandum and prepared the data room for due diligence.
- Prepared financial models and recommendation reports that supported the acquisitions by the parent company and associates. Examples include: (1) USD 5 million product division from the Chapter XI bankruptcy trustee sale of a cable TV sector company; (2) USD 25-50 million technology product companies in Sweden and Ireland; (3) USD 10-20 million software companies in North America, India, and Japan.
- Created lender packages and participated in lender meetings for the USD 10 million bank funding of a product company.
- Established revenue and cost recognition processes. Improved cash flow planning and order-to-cash processes for group companies, resulting in ~20% higher cash flow.
- Identified the vendor, negotiated the contract, and transitioned parts of the accounting process (order-to-bill, payroll processing and accounting, general ledger reconciliation) to an offshore location, saving the group companies ~15% in G&A expenses. Recruited and trained new accounting staff.
- Prepared equity research models and recommendation reports for investments from corporate treasury (PAYX, GRA, HAS, RMD, BRK-A, INFY).
Focus areas: Investment Summaries, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Taxes, Financial Reporting, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
2000 - 2002
- Prepared consolidated pro forma financial model of three optical fiber cable and optronic contract manufacturing companies in India (a combined USD 75 million) to layout the milestones for a future IPO; also prepared the investor deck.
- Prepared a financial model and a business plan for a USD 10 million investment in a soda bottling and bottled water plant in India.
- Recommended best practices in inventory management at the shop floor to the CEO and board which resulted in the reduction of WIP inventory by ~15% and obsolete inventory by ~10%.
- Developed and implemented improved financial reporting processes for the software companies owned by the group—resulting in the faster collection of receivables.
Focus areas: Feasibility, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Projections, ERP