Verified Expert in Finance
Thorsten is a corporate finance advisor and CFO with an international career in investment banking (Lehman Brothers, Banco Santander) and technology ventures. He partners with SMEs as well as PE/VC investors in the TMT, health care, consumer, and financial services sectors to solve strategic and financial challenges. He is also an expert financial modeler and speaks English, German, and French.
Director Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Advised a global diagnostic imaging company on merging a non-core medical device business with an international pharma company to create a unique diagnostics offering (healthcare and EV $150 million) on the sell-side M&A.
- Provided comprehensive financial and business analysis on target and transaction structuring, supporting a $50 million debt refinancing to acquire a multinational hospitality group (buy-side M&A, private equity client, consumer, and EV $150 million).
- Advised a multi-billion dollar consumer brands conglomerate on disposal (carve-out) of a non-core business segment (Logistics and EV $50 million) on the sell-side M&A.
- Advised shareholder on disposal of a majority stake in software technology company providing virtual events and strategic meeting management (Software and EV $30 million) on the sell-side M&A.
- Supported family office with the cross-border acquisition of silica sand mine across the full transaction lifecycle (industrials and EV MAD $10 million) on the buy-side M&A.
Corporate Finance Advisor | Chief Financial Officer
- Worked as a CFO for digital challenger bank | FinTech | Did strategy, financial operations, budgeting and reporting, human resources, and commercial negotiations.
- Worked as a CFO for medical therapy and device company | MedTech | Did fundraising, financial strategy, business development, valuation, and M&A.
- Advised multi-site industrial holding during the sale to strategic investors.
- Worked as s M&A advisor to consumer retail business during the sale of a minority stake.
- Had over 15 board advisory mandates to technology companies in the US, UK, and Europe.
Fractional CFO for Digital Marketing/SaaS Company
- Updated a business plan and created a financial plan after the Series A fundraising round. Directed strategic dialogue on growth strategy, product pricing, and profitability targets.
- Analyzed cash flows and liquidity requirements, including balance sheet and working capital, and derived initiatives to improve the business's financial performance.
- Created the KPI framework and management reporting for founders, CEO, and COO to improve growth, profitability, projections, and hiring visibility.
- Suggested technological improvements to increase process automation across finance, reporting, marketing, and oversight.
Founder | CEO
- Created the business idea, analyzed the markets and competitors, developed the product offering, pricing structure, and led the product development.
- Built the business plan and financial plan—including liquidity scenarios, forecasts, and KPIs.
- Wrote investor pitch, organized the roadshow, and presented it to venture capitalists and private investors.
- Managed a team of external developers, designers, marketers, lawyers, and advisers to develop a social networking application.
- Built a financial model for a subscription and transaction-based revenue model.
Banco Santander S.A.
- Expanded the domestic business into international markets (e.g., Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Benelux, Scandinavia, and Poland).
- Created and initiated new client-focused research publications—including investment ideas, volatility analysis, trading workshops, and educational product guides.
- Analyzed European stock markets and volatility and wrote analyst research reports to evaluate investments and create new solutions.
- Partnered with institutional clients to hedge strategic risks—created structured investment solutions and issued a senior note linked to equities.
- Led internal joint ventures with other product heads to improve client services—achieved the top 15 buy-side ranking in two years, up from the low 60s.
Lehman Brothers, Inc. | Nomura plc.
- Analyzed the European and American publicly listed companies, financials, share performances, and volatility markets and compiled investment and trading ideas for the institutional client base.
- Executed book building and directed legal documentation for more than 30 public offerings and private placements.
- Wrote investment recommendations for professional investment managers (long-only, long and short, and hedge funds). Created new investment products in different asset classes (e.g., equities, real estate, commodities, foreign exchange, and rates).
- Dealt in listed and OTC equity derivatives, publicly traded shares, and risk-managed complex financial products (e.g., swaps, correlation, and volatility).
- Managed relationships with large European financial institutions; hired and developed a successful team covering European, German-speaking markets.
Master of Science Degree (Magna Cum Laude) in Business Administration
University of Basel - Basel, Switzerland
Excellence With Excel
Certificate in Investments - Level 3