Verified Expert in Finance
An American, now resident in Spain, Zachary continued his journey in London after completing his master's at the LSE, first as an analyst for a PE fund before switching to a global value hedge fund. Zachary is an expert in modeling, fundamental analysis, and valuation. As a freelancer, Zachary has completed the sale of a small business, advised on early-stage funding rounds, and acted as interim CFO for upstart companies. When he is not freelancing, he enjoys making wine.
A Crypto Mining Operation Powered by Renewable Energy
- Projected three separate financial statements with separate capital structures: energy production, crypto mining, and carbon credit harvesting.
- Advised on the optimal capital structure between the three different business segments and provided valuations of each for fundraising purposes.
- Compiled a pitchbook to be used in fundraising efforts.
- Constructed the financial model for a P2P lending platform.
- Sensitized inputs to determine the appropriate capital structure and funding requirements as well as the company budget.
- Advised on pricing strategy and the path to cash flow breakeven.
Online Natural Wine Retailer
- Got a grip and modeled out the company's finances from multiple data sources, Shopify, invoices, and more.
- Put together a pitch deck for early-stage equity financing.
- Provided strategic financial advice throughout, offering sector expertise.
- Suggested multiple tangible ways to cut costs and improve margins.
- Liaised with bankers and other sources of debt financing.
- Developed an investment strategy to capitalize on economic disruption.
- Tailored the strategy to meet the needs of the investor in terms of return potential, maximum loss tolerance, and time horizon.
- Presented multiple options for how to achieve the desired financial outcome and hedge against existing asset holdings.
Undisclosed Packaging Company
- Conducted a comprehensive market analysis for a startup packaging firm.
- Built a data dashboard to highlight the most interesting target markets by geography.
- Wrote a detailed report encapsulating my findings.
- Used a data-driven approach, while also highlighting qualitative items of interest.
- Delivered reports to the client and strategic partners.
Undisclosed Private Equity Fund
- Built a financial model for a novel private equity fund.
- Helped to strategically define the investment strategy.
- Delineated the investment strategies into different "buckets" with varying return profiles, before aggregating everything.
- Incorporated fee and carry structure to project potential returns to GP and LPs.
Undisclosed Cryptocurrency Hedge Fund
- Constructed a portfolio dashboard to monitor fund investments in volatile markets.
- Pulled data from various sources to distill vital metrics and see what is actually happening at an order book level.
- Developed a deep understanding of cryptocurrency fundamentals.
- Built the financial and business model for a novel credit card issuer, which offers cryptocurrency for rewards.
- Forecast the financials based on market data to derive both equity and debt funding needs.
- Advised the client on the red flags and risks inherent in consumer lending businesses.
Undisclosed Short-term Car Leasing Startup
- Built a financial model for internal projections and external fundraising efforts.
- Helped to determine and track key startup metrics such as CAC, LTV, cash burn rates, and runway.
- Offered ongoing high-level financial/strategic advice to co-founders.
- Served as a sounding board during the company's negotiations with seed-stage investors.
- Reconfigured monthly accounting reports to better track underlying business performance.
To-be-named Prosecco Brand
- Pulled together a model and budget for a nascent prosecco brand.
- Challenged cost, volume, and pricing assumptions.
- Determined the amount of investment needed to carry the company through to breakeven.
- Sensitized key assumptions to determine risk points.
- Socialized findings with key people in the company.
- Built the financial model and investment case for a nascent cryptocurrency mining operation powered by hydro.
- Evaluated input costs in various currencies and sensitized the returns based on different crypto pricing assumptions.
- Proposed an appropriate capital structure and funding needs, and calculated returns to investors.
Quillon (via Toptal)
- Designed the macroeconomics for a to-be-launched cryptocurrency.
- Wrote approximately half of the white paper.
- Designed a supply schedule and incentive scheme for all stakeholders involved in the currency.
- Developed a deep understanding of cryptonomics and Blockchain technology.
- Gained firsthand experience in the founding of a cryptocurrency.
Flooring Solutions, Inc.
- Advised on the sale of a small business in the commercial flooring industry.
- Ran an M&A process from start to finish—beginning with an initial valuation all the way through to close.
- Received letters of intent and helped the selling owners decide on the merits of each.
- Negotiated terms directly with the leading bidder, identified a lawyer, and protected the sellers' interests during the legal dealings.
Market Researcher (Big Data & MRO)
DeLaPorte & Associates (via Toptal)
- Conducted an industry analysis of the big data and MRO within the airline sector for a player considering entering the space.
- Sized the market opportunity and mapped out the major existing players.
- Identified red flags in entering the space.
- Developed a good understanding of the application of big data to the aerospace industry.
Treetop AM (via Toptal)
- Completed an initial investment analysis of a consumer finance company operating in Scandinavia.
- Built out a fully-functioning yet simple financial model, with easy access to key inputs to be sensitized.
- Delved into public information to improve the accuracy of forecast earnings, cash flow, and balance sheet.
- Highlighted key risk areas for consumer finance companies and specifically identified a number of red flags.
- Completed everything in a very short timeframe.
Seminary Hill (via Toptal)
- Provided financial advice to a family with existing apple orchard on plans to build and operate a cidery.
- Built a financial model for internal projections and external fundraising efforts.
- Adjusted an intricate model, in many iterations, to reflect input from a consultant cider master, local government, orchard manager, and family itself.
- Derived an optimal capital structure based on future cash flow projections and availability of financing sources.
- Brought my own wine industry experience to bear throughout the process.
Siren Group AG (via Toptal)
- Helped determine the pricing of leads by analyzing the profitability of insurance companies.
- Built a simple financial model to clarify an analysis.
- Conducted market research to determine market norms.
- Examined insurers in different countries with varying reporting standards.
- Advised a high net-worth individual on the $6-million financing of a startup parking platform/app in a Series A funding round.
- Modeled the company's finances and provided a valuation to frame the investment round.
- Directly negotiated terms with the founder/CEO to advance the round and protect the client's interests.
- Revised terms and legal documents.
- Analyzed publicly-listed equities for potential investment by $100 million fund. Investments ranged between $3 million to $15 million and were long-term in outlook.
- Built highly detailed financial models, developed investment theses, and wrote comprehensive company reports. Focused on finance, energy, telecoms, retail, tech, and manufacturing sectors.
- Originated investment ideas and discussed potential investments with an investment team. Conducted company-specific as well as macro research. Interacted regularly with sell-side to gain perspective on specific stocks and macro environment.
- Monitored up to seven portfolio companies at any given time, resizing or exiting positions when necessary. We ran with a very concentrated portfolio of 10-to-15 holdings so we only traded a few times per week.
- Ensured the ongoing communication with the company management teams, at times providing the perspective of longterm shareholders.
- Built complex financial models of both companies and entire portfolios to be potentially acquired by the $1-billion fund. Investments ranged from $5 million to $100 million, venture to mature.
- Screened or analyzed approximately eight pitches (looking for investment) per month. Met management teams of target companies and conducted thorough due diligence. Industries included telecoms, tech, manufacturing, business services, and retail.
- Structured and closed a total of seven transactions, liaising with M&A bankers and lawyers. Negotiated and set incentives for management teams to properly align interests.
- Monitored existing portfolio companies, remaining in regular contact with management teams. We participated in three follow-on investments during the difficult economic environment of 2009.
- Engaged other private equity funds for a co-investment when club deals were called for.
- Pitched potential investors of the fund during the pre-marketing phase of the fundraising cycle.
Emerging Market Economics
- Compiled a report regarding transparency of revenues in the oil-&-gas industry on a country by country basis. Published by Transparency International.
- Evaluated quantitatively and qualitatively all of the countries of the world for investment risk to provide comprehensive database used by private companies and organizations.
Lyft vs. Uber: Hailing a Ride to Public Markets
Libation Frontiers: A Deep Dive into the World Wine Industry
Why Tesla? Evaluating the Electric Craze
Supply Chain Lessons and Opportunities: Notes on a Crisis
Master's Degree in Economic History
London School of Economics and Political Science - London, UK
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and Philosophy
University of Southern California - Los Angeles, CA, USA