Software Engineering Manager2018 - 2019Aurea Software
- Interviewed, selected, onboarded, and coached candidates from a global talent pool to meet the aggressive goals for more than ten products.
- Led a team of around 20 QA automation engineers located all around the globe across multiple products and technologies (Protractor, Re-quest-promise [API testing], Cucumber/Selenium and Appium).
- Performed daily and weekly track of the team effort based on specific metrics for the test automation work from shared and owned Jira dashboards, Allure Reports/Jenkins, Test Rail results and GSheets.
- Created my own Google sheet dashboards with summarized pulled data from Jira and other web services (using self-developed Python scripts).
- Followed up on escalations, communicated and removed blocked issues, and adjusted the plan and team allocation to meet our goals.
- Held weekly one-on-ones and daily team meetings to communicate strategies, weekly goals, and review team and individual performance.
- Reported progress status to VPs of Engineering.
- Followed, tracked, and reacted to the organization's compliance program on a daily and weekly basis. Reviewed and tracked the team summary (hours, metrics, cost per unit vs target cost per unit, intensity & focus), and aligned activities and goals.
- Performed Gemba walks to all the team to identify best and bad practices and share them with the team.
Agile Project Manager/Sr Software QA Manager2015 - 2018unosquare
- Tracked project progress, risks, issues, and client expectations from Kanban and Scrum projects.
- Validated and documented standard operating procedure (SOP) documents to evaluate, confirm and improve the processes related to the teams' work.
- Worked to formalize the organizational PMO with templates, process guidelines, and metrics.
- Documented project review scorecards (highlights, milestones, risks, and issues).
- Presented project review scorecards and progress to the client services director.
- Interviewed project management candidates for the PMO team and QA candidates for the customers.
- Facilitate Scrum events for different teams and customers (stand up/daily meeting, sprint planning, grooming sessions, sprint demos, and sprint retro).
- Gathered customers' requirements and documented them in user stories.
- Designed workflow charts and diagrams for customers' user stories.
- Reviewed and clarified expected interfaces and user interaction with UX/UI designers for customers' projects.
- Directly managed customers' requirements and expectations.
- Prepared and reviewed software test plans and test strategies for different customers.
- Contributed during software development engineering tests with Cucumber scenarios (Gherkin), Ruby, and Selenium-Java.
- Planned the performance and load testing strategy with Blazemeter/JMeter for a customer's web application.
- Demonstrated team deliverables from release to customer's executives.
- Held one-on-one meetings to coach individual contributors and remove blockers.
Project Manager/Business Analyst2011 - 2015IBM
- Led the order management worldwide group of PMs in the divestiture of the retail store solutions (RSS) business to ToshibaGCS (Wave 1, 2, 3, 4 and ISC release).
- Created a worldwide project plan, budget, and schedule for different divestiture and acquisition of Order-2-Cash projects.
- Led the Agile coaching group for the IBM CIO Mexico group. Coached different teams to “safely” walk from Waterfall development to Scrum methodology on complex projects in order to reach shorter deployments.
- Managed the project portfolio for the O2C Hardware (HW) Latin America tower. Rolling up the project portfolio status. Created a general HW LA architecture from the asset information and application owners feedback.
- Led the students for a smarter planet (SFSP) program in Mexico.
- Led the Students for a Smarter Planet: Mexico Cybersecurity Challenge, a university national contest sponsored by the IBM VP of Cybersecurity and SFSP program with big impact in the Mexican university sector.
- Managed the IBM Mexico Smartcamp 2013 event project in Guadalajara.
Software Quality Assurance Manager2009 - 2011unosquare
- Worked on site with the customer (Missouri; Seattle and Portland, OR, USA) for process and tools training.
- Interviewed, hired, and coached the nearshore QA teams from scratch based in the customers' needs.
- Managed multiple nearshore teams on projects with very tight deadlines and high visibility.
- Created and reported metrics directly to the executive levels (CTO and CEO) for the software development and testing projects.
- Directly managed customer requirements and expectations.
- Prepared and reviewed SOW documents for different projects/customers.
- Consulted and provided recommendations to improve the software development life cycle (SDLC) integrating the QA area for the internal and external customers in Agile and Waterfall environments.
- Planned and led the efforts to certificate the QA engineers into the ISTQB (international software testing qualification board) foundational certification.
Software Engineer/Staff Software Engineer - Architect2004 - 2009IBM
- Participated in the strategy development for the IBM Mexico System & Technology Lab.
- Contributed to software development, architect, and design. CPS (Code Program-ming Support), development and testing for the AS/400 – iSeries – System I Kernel OS on the SNA & communications team. Participated and helped in several Crit-Sit and Sev1 support problems. Helped with the design and implementation for SNA EE/IPv6.
- Served as a technical leader in the TCP/IP Apps team. Designed and developed from scratch the implementation of the RIPng routing protocol in System i. Supported with the Development for the OSPF (IPv4 and IPv6) routing protocol. Provided technical advice for the implementation of other routing protocols on IPv6 protocols. Received two iSeries LUG (Large User Group) memento awards because of that work.
- Led the introduction of SSME (Service science, management, and engineering) in Mexico. Created the business case to formalize the national team and presented it to IBM Executives.
- Acted as the IBM group leader in the national Community of Theory and Practice SSME/ITSM (Service science & IT Service Management).
- Created plans for the introduction of SSME, Service management and ITILv3 in Mexican universities.
CEO and Co-founder2002 - 2004SDNet
- Created the business plan from scratch for IT consulting services to local customers.
- Made business decisions; analyzed marketing practices and results; did technology research and closed sales deals.
- Designed and developed, from scratch, different web solutions (PHP and ASP) and Windows applications (VB6) for clients in the Mexican states of Colima and Jalisco.
Software Engineer2000 - 2002Universidad de Colima
- Researched, developed, designed, and documented a cross-platform (Linux and Windows) web-based library system for the UNESCO (Biblioteca Digital Latinoamericana). Developed Linux installation scripts.
- Designed, developed, and documented different IT systems for internal controls and external customers from the university (Windows and Web apps).
- Developed a web platform for the Unix administrators linked to a Unix script to create new users (DevOps web-script).
- Worked as a server administrator for Windows 2000 and NT 4.0. and as an IT security administrator (system updates and system logs reviews).
- Led the software development area for the DIGESET (2000).