Milan, Metropolitan City of Milan, Italy
Member since December 20, 2016
Francesco has more than a decade of experience in finance, consulting, and business management. During this time, he has worked on 20+ projects as a consultant at Bain & Company and launched Uber operations in Turin, Italy. He also created the strategic plan for a large Singaporean education institute entering the European market. Francesco enjoys freelancing to help passionate entrepreneurs and investors maximize value.
- Director of Business Development I Minority Owner2017 - PRESENTArchon | Laser
Focus areas: Business Plan Development, Investor Decks, Investor Communications, Financial Projections, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Fundraising
- Created the commercial strategy (e.g., sectors to target, commercial approach, service solutions) and the commercial plan (e.g., clients to target).
- Defined the business cases for each technological solution (e.g., solar plant inspection, electric grid maintenance) to support customers acquisition.
- Managed the overall project, starting with evaluating client needs and developing the initial project proposal until the final delivery of the solution.
- Built the financial model and the investor decks to support the financing from a major bank and the fundraising from investors.
- Acquired three major players operating in the energy sector as customers, and managed multiple leads and potential engagements.
- Supported the product development plan and the communication strategy.
- Strategy & Innovation Management2016 - PRESENTFrancesco Castellano
Focus areas: Strategic Planning, Revenue & Expense Projections, Project Management, Investor Decks, Investor Communications, Strategic Partnerships, Go-to-Market Strategy, Fundraising, Innovation Strategy, Market Opportunity Analysis, Market Research
- Developed the strategic plan (e.g., market analysis, competitive landscape, company position, and business plan) for a large Singaporean educational institute entering the European market.
- Created a go-to-market strategy (e.g., main marketing channels, approach per channel, segments, and main messages) for a North American carpooling platform entering a new country.
- Set up the operations (e.g., defining the operating processes, KPIs, and action plan) and go-to-market strategy for personal services platform launching operations in the Italian market.
- Supported the implementation of strategic partnerships (e.g., company presentation, identification of possible targets and main synergies) for an e-grocery platform scaling-up operations in Italy.
- Analyzed the market and the competitive landscape for an IT outsourcing company operating in the US and Africa backed by Google Ventures.
- Evaluated a potential target in the Italian market for a large global private equity firm.
- Identified the most disrupting innovations that could impact a major beauty player and defined the innovation strategy.
- Implemented, as a project manager, the launch in Italy of a new entity and product for a mobility international player.
- Managing Director2015 - 2016Home Services Marketplace
Focus areas: Fundraising, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Pitch Deck Financials, Operations Finance, Strategy and Business Development
- Fleshed out the business development strategy (e.g., main partnerships to develop, main categories to focus on, new cities to launch) and the financial plan.
- Updated periodically investors and shareholders on main KPIs (e.g., cost per user acquisition, cost per request, revenue growth) and strategy implementation.
- Defined marketing strategy (e.g., marketing channels, budget allocated per channel) and monitored acquisition performance per channel.
- Defined operational KPIs, operating processes (e.g., acquisition, training) and main areas of focus.
- Fundraised initial seed capital from angel investors and implemented two strategic partnerships with main industry leaders.
- Supply Growth & Operations Manager2014 - 2015Uber Technologies
Focus areas: Business Development, Operations Management, Supply Growth
- Launched Uber in a new city (Turin) in the Italian market, achieving 15 weeks of continuous double-digit growth, and awarded as one of Uber's fastest growing cities in Europe.
- Led the supply growth (e.g., marketing, acquisition process) for Italy, coordinating efforts for all 5 cities (Milan, Rome, Turin, Genoa, and Padua).
- Identified channels for driver acquisition (e.g., Google AdWords, Facebook, job boards, radio); defined the channel strategy and monitored the acquisition performance.
- Built up the metrics to monitor the onboarding process for driver acquisition; created the procedures for each step of the process and improved the training material.
- Led the business development for Italy, assessing potential new products (e.g., UberEATS) to launch in the Italian market.
- Managed the operations and monitored the overall supply performance for Turin; identified and negotiated main strategic partnerships to support business development.
- Associate I Senior Associate | Consultant2010 - 2014Bain & Company
Focus areas: Strategy and Business Development, Performance improvement , Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Organizational Change, Financial Modeling
- Defined the business plan for an international manufacturing player operating in the automotive industry.
- Identified addressable markets, built a business model, and created a growth strategy for a mid-sized energy service player.
- Wrote the business plan to help an infrastructure and public services player raise financing from a major bank.
- Optimized the cost structure and working capital for two major energy players.
- Developed more than five strategic, business, and commercial due diligence for several players (retail, industrial, and energy players).
- Implemented post-merger integration processes for two major energy players as the project manager.
- Developed a credit risk model and dashboard for a major multinational energy player.
- Associate Financial Analyst2008 - 2010General Electric
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Identified key areas for sales linearity improvement (e.g., planning, sourcing quality, and manufacturing processes).
- Defined the detailed quarterly sales plans for manufacturing and sourcing and developed a root cause analysis for variances.
- Developed a monthly dashboard on the manufacturing metrics (e.g., cost per material inputs, labor cost per hour).
- Created, during a Six Sigma project, a detailed forecast on material input to improve the budgeting process.
- Supported the global supply chain management with a specific financial analysis during the quarterly FP&A update.
- Financial Analyst2008 - 2008Lazuli Solutions
Focus areas: Financial Modeling
- Developed financial models to evaluate investment projects in the energy sector for major investment banks in London.
- Created a financial model for a major offshore wind farm in the UK.
- Built a financial model for a major solar plant in Africa.
- Was trained in financial modeling development using the F1F9 methodology in New Dehli.
- The Impending Commercial Robot Revolution (Publication)The field of robotics has seen incredible strides forward in recent years. As a result of improvements in computer vision, dexterity and also overall economics, use of robots has increased in a variety of different fields. However, most of the growth in robotics so far has happened in industrial applications, and thus hidden from the view of the general public. But is this about to change? In this article, Toptal Finance Expert Francesco Castellano focuses on the commercial robotics market. Thanks to recent breakthroughs in the fields of AI, mechatronics, sensors, and batteries, service and commercial robots are likely to see tremendous growth and adoption, likely heralding a new robotics revolution that could transform our daily lives in countless ways.
- Commercial Drones Are Revolutionizing Business Operations (Publication)When most hear “drone,” they think expensive military aircrafts or small consumer toys. However, the future of drones will actually be shaped by practical commercial applications, due to their ability to drive efficiency and data analytics. This article defines drones and their total addressable market and highlights how their capabilities can be leveraged in commercial business operations. It also includes investment trends and predictions for the future of the industry.
- PhD (first and second year) degree in Business Management2006 - 2007Bologna University - Bologna, Italy
- Master's degree in Finance2004 - 2005Il Sole 24 Ore Business School - Milan, Italy
- Bachelor's/Master's combined degree in Business Administration1998 - 2004University of Naples Federico II - Naples, Italy