Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Francesco has almost twenty years of experience in finance, consulting, business management, and sustainability. Throughout these years, he has worked on more than 20 projects as a consultant at Bain & Company and launched Uber operations in Turin, Italy. Lately, he has founded Tondo, an organization spreading circular economy concepts, and Tondo lab, a company driving the implementation of clean and circular innovations. Francesco is passionate about innovation and entrepreneurship.
Strategic Plan | Market Analysis and Competitive Landscape
Co-founder | Managing Director
- Assisted a major Asian energy company in creating their venture-building factory focusing on sustainability by crafting their partnership model and investment strategy.
- Assessed the US and Europe's most relevant sustainable and circular tech trends for a major service real estate company to identify their potential market value.
- Coordinated the market and technical due diligence in a last-generation wastewater treatment plant producing bioplastics, reviewing and redeveloping the financial plan.
- Developed the financial plan for a new automotive designer player focusing on electric cars, including profit and loss, cash flow, and balance sheet for five entities.
- Provided support to a major multi-utility company in testing and validating the inspection of hydropower plants using an autonomous rover in collaboration with an R&D lab.
- Assessed a mobility player in the Middle East to identify and design a new operating model's main organizational and technological elements.
- Supported a utility company to test and launch a new technology for collecting data on water consumption in collaboration with a startup.
- Developed the financial plan for a startup, working as a trading platform in the fish industry supporting waste reduction, which collected €20 million in Series A.
- Assisted a major multi-utility and energy company in scouting circular and sustainable startups.
- Supported a private equity firm in commercial due diligence, analyzing the Italian market's potential for an educational institute's expansion plan.
Co-founder | President
- Designed and coordinated seven significant innovation and circular economy events involving major companies, startups, and research institutes in Milan, Naples, Genoa, and Taranto.
- Coordinated the activities on a study evaluating the sustainability and circularity level of northern Italy's fashion and textile industry.
- Conducted market research on startups implementing circular business models in the Italian market.
- Offered classes and workshops to corporates and educational institutes on circular economy and innovation.
- Designed and managed two online national hackathons in circular cities involving eight corporates and over 20 universities.
- Launched a platform, supported by a European grant, to drive local development of the circular economy by analyzing local circularity and promoting circular projects.
- Developed different tools to measure the level of circularity at the product, company, and city levels, using the most relevant methodologies and standards.
- Managed a study on the Material Flow Analysis (MFA) at the city level for a town in the south of Italy to propose the most relevant projects to develop.
Strategy, Finance, and Innovation
- Developed the strategic plan for a large Singaporean educational institute entering the European market, including market analysis, competitive landscape, company position, and business plan.
- Created a go-to-market strategy for a North American carpooling platform entering a new country, assessed main marketing channels, approach per channel, segments, and main messages.
- Set up the operations–including defining the operational processes, KPIs, and the action plan–and the go-to-market strategy for a personal services platform, launching operations in the Italian market.
- Supported the implementation of strategic partnerships, including company presentation, identification of possible targets, and main synergies for an e-grocery platform scaling-up operations in Italy.
- Analyzed the market and the competitive landscape for an IT outsourcing company operating in the US and Africa, backed by Google Ventures.
- Evaluated a potential target in the Italian market for a large global private equity firm.
- Identified the most disrupting innovations that could impact a major beauty player.
- Implemented, as a project manager, the launch in Italy of a new product for an international mobility player.
- Built the financial model and the investor decks to support the financing from a major bank and the fundraising from investors for a robotics startup.
- Served as the temporary business development director for an international professional service firm, managing the sales plan definition and reorganizing sales activities.
Home Professional Services Marketplace
- Fleshed out the business development strategy, including significant partnerships to develop, main categories to focus on, and new cities to launch, along with the financial plan.
- Updated, periodically, investors and shareholders on main KPIs, such as cost per user acquisition, cost per request, and revenue growth and strategy implementation.
- Defined the marketing strategy, including marketing channels and budget allocated per channel, and monitored acquisition performance per channel.
- Defined operational KPIs, operating processes like acquisition and training, and principal focus areas.
- Fundraised the initial seed capital from angel investors and implemented two strategic partnerships with main industry leaders.
Supply Growth and Operations Manager
- Launched Uber in a new city, Turin, in the Italian market, achieving 15 weeks of continuous double-digit growth, and awarded as one of Uber's fastest-growing cities in Europe.
- Led the supply growth, including marketing and acquisition process for Italy, coordinating efforts for all five cities: Milan, Rome, Turin, Genoa, and Padua.
- Identified channels for driver acquisition like Google AdWords, Facebook, job boards, and radio; defined the channel strategy and monitored the acquisition performance.
- Built up the metrics to monitor the onboarding process for driver acquisition; created the procedures for each process step, and improved the training material.
- Led the business development for Italy, assessing potential new products (e.g., UberEATS) to launch in the Italian market.
- Managed the operations and monitored the overall supply performance for Turin; identified and negotiated main strategic partnerships to support business development.
Associate | Senior Associate | Consultant
Bain & Company
- Defined the business plan for an international manufacturing player operating in the automotive industry.
- Identified addressable markets, built a business model, and created a growth strategy for a mid-sized energy service player.
- Wrote the business plan to help an infrastructure and public services player raise financing from a major bank.
- Optimized the cost structure and working capital for two major energy players.
- Developed more than five strategic, business, and commercial due diligence plans for several retail, industrial, and energy players.
- Implemented post-merger integration processes for two major energy players as the project manager.
- Built a credit risk model and dashboard for a major multinational energy player.
Associate Financial Analyst
- Identified key areas for sales linearity improvement (e.g., planning, sourcing quality, and manufacturing processes).
- Defined the detailed quarterly sales plans for manufacturing and sourcing and developed a root cause analysis for variances.
- Developed a monthly dashboard for the manufacturing metrics (e.g., cost per material input and labor cost per hour).
- Created a detailed forecast on material input during a Six Sigma project, which improved the budgeting process.
- Supported the global supply chain management with a specific financial analysis during the quarterly FP&A update.
- Developed financial models to evaluate investment projects in the energy sector for leading investment banks in London.
- Created a financial model for a major offshore wind farm in the UK.
- Built a financial model for a large solar plant in Africa.
- Underwent training in financial modeling development using the F1F9 methodology in New Delhi.
The Impending Commercial Robot Revolution
Feeding the Future: An Overview of the Agrifood Industry
Feeding the Future: An Overview of Agrifood Technology
A Deep Dive Into the Future of Mobility
Executive Course in Circular Economy and Sustainability
Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Online
Executive Course in Disruptive Strategy
Harvard Business School - Online
Coursework Toward a PhD in Business Management
University of Bologna - Bologna, Italy
Master's Degree in Finance
24ORE Business School - Milan, Italy
Bachelor's/Master's Combined Degree in Business Administration
University of Naples Federico II - Naples, Italy