Verified Expert in Product Management
Brennon is a strategy, design, and delivery leader with 20+ years of experience and deep expertise in B2B2C software product management, project management, and cross-functional team leadership in financial services, education, healthcare, travel, and media. Brennon excels at leading groundbreaking product design and delivery projects and new business initiatives. Past clients include T-Mobile, Royal Caribbean, Time Warner Cable, Scottrade, T. Rowe Price, Pearson Education, and Franklin Covey.
Product Management Consultant
BMM Services LLC
- Assisted and advised clients with product strategy and design, market positioning, go-to-market alternatives, and software development practices (independent consultant work).
- Worked with a client still operating in stealth mode—researching, drafting specs, and creating a static prototype for a SaaS-based B2B2C travel services platform. My work captured the investments needed to launch product development.
- Developed the positioning and a go-to-market strategy for a data analytics app extension marketplace for a client who wants to monetize a previously free app plug-in gallery.
- Designed and implemented an online store for an independent kid's clothing designer.
- Defined user requirements and designed a mobile app for an independent entrepreneur that reached the Top 10 Fitness Apps list at Apple.
- Envisioned, designed, built, and launched airyPRM.com, a lightweight CRM for individuals like job seekers, independent consultants, and active networkers.
- Served as a product management and delivery coach for ServiceCore, a startup SaaS company providing operational software for waste managers. Drove measurable improvements in development velocity, quality, and strategic alignment.
- Worked as a mentor in the Travelport Startup Accelerator and Innosphere and provided product management, development, and marketing advisory services to early-stage (pre-funding) startup leaders, helping to prepare them for the pursuit of investors.
- Served as a Product Owner for Inteleos, managing a knowledge assessment mobile app for operators of diagnostic ultrasound equipment. Optimized item creation through the implementation of process checklists and continuous improvement practices.
- Authored expanded glossary definitions, articles, and blog posts on various topics related to product management for ProductPlan, a provider of roadmap management software.
Senior Product Manager
- Handled the day-to-day product management for Nymbl, including a balance improvement mobile app for older adults, a member web portal, and a data analytics function.
- Introduced Agile practices that drove a 50% increase in development productivity.
- Built a company-wide framework for user research and design testing.
Senior Product Manager and Leadership Advisory Consultant
- Provided product leadership of modern, cloud-native application development in a Lean, Agile, DevSecOps-enabled environment with balanced, empowered product teams.
- Drove a 15x improvement in data hygiene while also experiencing a 500% increase in audited data as data portfolio product manager at the US Air Force software factory Kessel Run.
- Led a team of one UX designer and three developers in the redesign and front-end re-development of a legacy application that supports all 70k+ USAF Reserve members in scheduling, approving, reporting, and validating required duty hours annually.
Product Development Director, Practice Area Director, Department Leader
- Directed, as head of my department, a team of six project leads, each responsible for planning and executing product design and development projects on behalf of mid-market clients with more than $5 billion in annual revenue.
- Managed, as a project lead, a cross-functional team—design, development, quality engineering—to integrate voice assistant technology from Amazon and Google using a serverless architecture for a streaming television service provider.
- Drove, as a member of the Denver Leadership Team, efficiencies in leadership team operations and initiatives through workshops and the introduction of a scrum-based approach to initiative management, resulting in an increase in leader engagement.
- Led quality improvements in and standardization of project documents and processes by creating reference materials used across seven independent project teams, resulting in client adoption of best practice processes.
Engagement Director, New Product Development
- Steered cross-functional teams to document requirements, design web and mobile apps, and deliver user-experience-focused digital products and custom software projects, overseeing the full product lifecycle.
- Wrote new contract language rolled out nationally that implemented proactive risk management to limit company financial and reputation liabilities and protect against delays due to client strategic and delivery issues.
- Spearheaded departmental unification by instituting monthly informational and developmental teleconferences to promote community and enhance delivery leadership practices, attracting over 80% of my discipline's nationally dispersed team.
- Led the product development for a UX-focused consumer banking transformation, rolling out technology improvements across 400 locations. My team of 10 delivered multiple high-quality internal banking systems, a mobile application, and a new website.
- Worked with a healthcare company, leading a team of 10 to strategize a technology overhaul and create branded websites for each location. We pitched a $30 million technology product contract and earned approval to implement phase 1.
- Led, in my final role at Isobar, US-based and near-shore teams in Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina to oversee the last legs of an eCommerce site delivery for Royal Caribbean. We brought the project in on time despite delays in client deliverables.
- Led every project for which I was responsible during my entire time at Isobar—6+ years—planning and executing from beginning to end to an on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Oversaw a complete, 12-week re-envisioning of the online trading experience for Scottrade, including persona development, strategy and positioning, brand evolution, and prototyping.
Project Manager, New Product Development
- Orchestrated the full product development lifecycle, from strategic development to delivery and end-user support.
- Clarified and documented requirements, built roadmaps, conducted testing, and delivered functional websites, software, and applications.
- Led a team of six to evaluate customer-facing and internal technology and create a comprehensive strategy to transform a regional bank's digital capabilities, user experience, and brand. My team won acceptance for multiple projects.
- Guided a team of user experience designers, graphic designers, and technologists to generate an intranet and public marketing site for Time Warner Cable. The work included a massive front-end customization of an Ektron content management system.
- Identified a 500-person-hour underestimation due to integration issues with a client's newly acquired web content management system and earned a commendation for rapid and accurate issue identification and executive escalation.
Strategic Alliances Director
- Created strategic partnering frameworks and secured technical partnerships with Oracle, Microsoft, NAVTEQ, Google, and ESRI to catalyze the company's expansion into the enterprise software market.
- Resuscitated a failed launch of an on-premise imagery service software development kit by defining a revolutionary SaaS product strategy to move up the value chain that more than doubled the revenue of a $100-million business.
- Managed a team of marketers to plan and staff an industry trade show presence in India, including presenting to more than 40 potential clients as an invited speaker.
- Directed a team of designers and technologists in creating a web application for T. Rowe Price to help their clients who are already in retirement better manage the use of retirement account funds.
- Led the design of a web application for tracking and improving customer satisfaction using Net Promoter Scores for Franklin Covey's Corporate Education division.
- Provided leadership and oversight of the creation of a web application for Quiznos franchisees to manage restaurant operations.
Market Development Manager
Wavelink (now Ivanti)
- Managed technical partnerships with hardware manufacturers like Cisco, Proxim, Intel, Motorola, and HP to assure hardware firmware and applications software compatibility for a wireless network monitoring and management product.
- Created and managed partner programs and established new go-to-market channels and agreements that drove a 20% increase in revenue.
- Served as the company representative to the WiFi Alliance, contributing to industry-wide improvements in user experience in the setup and management of WiFi security still used today.
Manager, e-Business Services
- Envisioned, created, and launched the Venture Situation Analysis, a new consulting product for assessing startup organizational maturity in preparation for seeking additional investments, resulting in a 150% increase in services revenue.
- Led the creation of a customer-feedback-centric product management process for a provider of outsourced contact center services that resulted in more rapid releases and higher customer satisfaction.
- Envisioned and built a web assessment methodology for insurance companies, creating objective benchmarks against which clients could evaluate the maturity of their digital presence.
Director of Corporate Strategy, Ventures, and Business Development
- Assembled and led a cross-business-unit team for the pursuit of an automotive entertainment electronics component offering resulting in a $70 million win.
- Envisioned and led the design and specification of the Digital Family Center, a connected consumer device aimed at helping to manage household logistics with calendars, shopping and to-do lists, phone numbers, and communication tools.
- Identified and led due diligence on a $5 million investment and licensing deal in a panoramic video technology company, capturing the rights to key hardware and software technology for video-based security systems.
- Contributed to the creation of a stage-gate process for pursuing internal innovations and served as the charter entrepreneur, championing a new product through the process.
- Managed various exploratory projects in multi-user virtual world technology, testing the capabilities of third-party systems in order to inform internal development efforts.
Analytics Marketplace Strategy
Executed a competitive analysis and delivered strategic recommendations related to the transformation of a free plug-in gallery into a monetized app extensions and data science solutions marketplace.
I reviewed the marketplaces of their direct competitors and also looked outside their industry for best practices of successful exchanges. Using an Exponential Organization framework, I prepared a marketplace strategy and go-to-market plan that kept the free gallery in place and augmented it with a suite of differentiating data science solutions that could be monetized through an expanded marketplace.
Digital Banking Transformation
Led creative & technical teams through a multi-year transformation in digital consumer banking for Umpqua Bank, rolling out tech improvements across 400 locations. We hit all timelines and stayed within budgets ranging from $750,000 to $1.5 million.
• Concept design and roadmap for retail
• Small business and commercial banking
• Website redesign for implementation on the Ektron CMS
• Interim redesign for online banking on the Fiserv Corillian platform
• Digital banking platform evaluation
• Omnichannel digital banking redesign and development support for the Q2 eBanking platform
• Online loan application process design
• Campaign landing page design and development
• Design and development of an iOS application to help users better manage discretionary spending
Healthcare Service Design
Led a team of creative and technical staff to help envision and deliver a wholly new experience for both practices and patients in the fertility services market for IntegraMed.
Online Brokerage Marketing and Client Site Redesign
Led a team of creative staff and technologists through a process of discovery and design of a best-in-class online trading and investment experience and the creation of a multi-year digital product roadmap for Scottrade.
Standardized Test Score Monitoring Product
Managed a team of developers distributed across four US timezones, Brazil, and Argentina for the implementation of a Java/Flex commercial software application serving the pre-K through 12th-grade education market for Pearson Education.
National Cable TV Operator Website and Intranet
Managed creative design and technical development teams for the creation of two CMS-enabled websites serving the Time Warner Cable Media Sales division, including both an internal sales team support site and a customer-facing marketing site.
This analysis brought two distinct positive results: commendation for the quick issue recognition and presentation and taught me the importance of creating highly specified contracts.
Wealth Management Website Redesign
Managed a small team of creative design, copywriting, and user experience resources through the final stages of conceptual design and all of a detailed design for the BNY Mellon website.
I quickly assessed the work completed to date and the outstanding work and necessary effort not just to meet the obligations of the statement of work but to make sure that the client was satisfied, and I implemented a regular status reporting meeting with the client. Although the work came in a couple of weeks late compared to the initial estimate, the client was happy with the final product and maintained a relationship with my company after I moved on to another project.
Franklin Covey Winning Customer Loyalty
Provided account management, team leadership and experience design for the creation of a custom Flex application for tracking, analyzing and improving customer loyalty based on the Net Promoter Score (NPS) methodology.
T. Rowe Price Quick Check
Account management and team leadership for the design and development of a custom Flex application for planning the disbursement of retirement funds.
SaaS Platform Strategy for Imagery Services
Resuscitated the failed launch of an on-premise imagery service SDK by defining a revolutionary product strategy to move up the value chain that more than doubled the annual revenue of a $100-million business
I developed a strategy that was oriented around moving their entire system to the cloud while enhancing it with value-added solutions that would allow them to solve problems for multiple enterprise markets rather than merely being a provider of raw data.
Veon Interactive Streaming Video
Led the specification and launch of a major new release of suite of products for authoring and delivering clickable video.
As acting director of product management, I created the MRD and product specifications for the new release that focused on improving the authoring experience for content developers and preparing the platform for delivery via application service providers (ASPs), which were the precursor to the cloud-based SaaS model in use today.
I also created all of the go-to-market messaging and materials and delivered training to key content partners.
B2B2C SaaS Travel Services Purchasing Platform
Defined requirements, designed prototypes, led tech design, and established go-to-market strategy leading to seed funding
Quiz App for Healthcare Certificationshttps://www.ardms.org/maintain-certification/skills-app/
Led the optimization of content development operational processes, improving quiz item quality and operational efficiency. Executed a user research project that resulted in a better understanding of negative feedback received about the product.
Balance Improvement Apphttps://nymblscience.com/the-program/
Introduced agile practices that drove 50% increase in development productivity and built a company-wide framework for user research and design testing.
Data Portfolio Quality Management
Acted as the data portfolio product manager at the US Air Force software factory Kessel Run, driving a 15-time improvement in data hygiene while also experiencing a 500% increase in audited data.
Military Staff Scheduling and Payment Portal
Led the design and development of a new front-end application to support duty scheduling and service verification for all members of the U.S. Air Force Reserve force.
Master of Arts Degree in Communications
University of Washington - Seattle, WA, USA
Bachelor of Arts Degree (Cum Laude) in International Studies
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Chapel Hill, NC, USA
AI Product Management
Transacting on the Blockchain
Introduction to Blockchain Technologies
Digital Marketing Foundations
The Trade Desk Edge Academy
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Amazon Web Services
Certified Scrum Product Owner
Certified Scrum Master
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring