Verified Expert in Project Management
Steve Davis is an experienced program manager, project manager, scrum master, and project management office leader with over 20 years of experience demonstrating results in enterprise and large-scale transformative portfolio, program, and merger integration initiatives for top industry leaders. Especially skilled at rescuing projects, Steve has a robust financial discipline and is proficient in Agile, Waterfall, and other leading methodologies and custom solutions.
Agile and Project Management Consultant
- Reviewed and automated client drop shipping and logistics business to save over $100,000 annually and provide a framework to scale the business significantly.
- Led and documented the discovery, requirements, and vendor selection process for an eCommerce vitamins and supplements business.
- Created and coached team members on business process documentation for freight, transportation, and rendering business.
- Created and delivered formal training for implementing a manufacturing inventory management system and provided client training at multiple sites.
- Implemented Monday.com as a project management tool for a team of 50 to manage project requests, workflow, status, and dashboard reporting for a corporate business team.
Senior Project Manager
- Built a project plan and roadmap with estimates and maintained project schedules, status reports, and metrics for a corporate-wide, cross-functional Salesforce implementation across 17 semi-autonomous branches.
- Managed a third-party implementation partner selection process and managed partner implementation delivery.
- Reviewed client current state, including documentation, processes, and policies, and proposed backlog for a minimum viable product.
- Oversaw and coordinated team and vendor activities for all phases of the project.
- Facilitated system and process governance decisions with senior management and project steering committee.
Director, Project Management Office
- Created the project management office (PMO) and portfolio structure and governance, which resulted in a 20% decrease in project implementation time for a leading energy products retailer.
- Built and managed a team of project managers, quality assurance analysts, financial analysts, and business analysts.
- Implemented financial discipline, financial planning and analysis (FP&A), cost/expense tracking, and accountability for a team in excess of $20 million annually.
- Partnered with the IT team and business partners on vendor partner selection for key projects.
- Managed a diverse overall project portfolio, including commission systems automation, Salesforce CRM implementation, network marketing system conversion, conversion to MS Dynamics, enterprise billing system conversion, new brand launches, and others.
Merger/Integration Program Management Office, Senior Project Manager, Program Management (Contract)
- Led teams of IT and business professionals in planning, designing, developing, testing, and implementing $4 million of projects in multiple geographical locations.
- Advised and collaborated on creating and operating the integration program management office policies, guidelines, communications, standards, and reporting to support multiple acquisitions with a multiple-year integration.
- Created, managed, and tracked program and project budgets and schedules.
- Performed required reporting to the executive management.
- Assisted business owners and project managers in preparing complete and comprehensive status reviews on all demand/project activities and issues for sponsors and IT leaders.
Solutions Group Manager [Health Insurance Benefits]
Taft-Hartley Benefits Administration Provider
- Managed many concurrent customer requests, projects, and internal deliverables on time and budget as a member of the leadership team of 30-year-old healthcare and retirement benefits administration software company.
- Focused on solution and service delivery by owning the existing project pipeline and P&L, managing and scheduling technical resources, writing the formal scope of work documents, and validating estimates.
- Drove new business for existing clients, managed clients, and grew the team.
- Increased data reporting and accountability standards and drove process efficiency.
Director of Project Management, Portfolio Management, and Program Management
DCP Group Consulting
- Defined and maintained process standards, best practices, and methodologies related to project management; created standardized, repeatable processes to increase efficiency; and implemented continuous evaluation and improvement.
- Provided project management and Agile coaching, mentoring, documentation, reporting, and metrics across the organization, ensuring alignment with the business strategy.
- Created effective communication strategies that streamlined communication, reduced redundant communication, and improved communication efficiency by 20%.
- Developed an accountability process, standards, and follow-up, which resulted in a 15% reduction in the error rate.
- Managed multiple complex, multi-year technology projects through the entire SDLC, which involved implementation at 900+ locations for a $300 million educational services company.
- Used Agile or Waterfall methodologies, depending on the client's needs.
Manager, PMO, Portfolio Management, and Program Management
Sylvan Learning, Educate Online
- Expanded the project management discipline throughout the business and operational organization.
- Managed the PMO standards and strategy across the enterprise.
- Influenced, built consensus, gained cooperation and commitment, and drove decisions across diverse cross-functional groups and executive managers without a direct line of authority, resulting in higher customer and project satisfaction.
- Served as an agile coach and scrum master while implementing the methodology for legacy development: consistently delivered on time and within expectations, captured strategic and operational goals, and ensured alignment with technology.
- Provided IT and project management advice for all levels of management, which created business value by enabling business and technology leaders to make well-informed decisions.
Senior Project Manager
GMAC Mortgage Ramp
- Led multiple teams of IT professionals in developing and implementing $3–$5 million enterprise-wide projects for clients throughout the country.
- Defined the technology and business enhancements to improve mortgage pipeline management and service delivery.
- Drove efficiency, developed and applied process design and best practices, and accelerated deliverables.
- Ensured consistency in the organizational approach.
- Created, developed, and managed all product training programs and materials throughout the company.
Senior Project Management Consultant
Major US Bank
- Led the effort to increase project and operational efficiency.
- Developed and applied best practices and accelerated deliverables across multiple projects that supported $87 billion in assets for high-net-worth clients.
- Established and managed an overall strategy and process to increase operational efficiencies and develop new competitive products in a new acquisition with over $110 million in assets.
- Defined and proactively managed and mitigated risks.
- Drove standardization and implemented best practices to optimize resources and costs across multiple technologies throughout the SDLC.
Billing System Conversion
Managed a company-wide project to convert over 100,000 billing accounts for a major energy retailer following the acquisition.
• Created, managed, and delivered frequent corporate-wide communications at various levels regarding the milestones, activities, status, risks, issues, and concerns using various channels and tools, including PowerPoint, emails, meetings, and conference calls.
• Communicated specific roles and responsibilities, worked with department business managers, and ensured all team members fully understood their respective roles.
• Provided detailed timeline, steps, and "playbook" for the specific go-live conversion activities.
• Managed, coordinated, communicated on, and reported on the playbook activities during the go-live phase to production.
• Performed the conversion in a "hybrid Agile" style, grouping similar markets together for a production cutover, reviewing results, and adapting learnings for the next production cutover.
• Drove and achieved consensus from wildly diverse stakeholders and team members.
Private Client Banking Site
Consulted with a major US bank to deliver a banking information site for high net-worth clients.
• Based on the client's vision, created the business case and overall "roadmap" for the project.
• Oversaw the requirements gathering, design, development, testing, and turning the system into a product.
• The system interfaced with legacy mainframe bank systems.
• This site was built before the foundation of the Scrum Alliance in 2004, and although built under a Waterfall methodology, it still had frequent post-production enhancement releases in a more Agile-like fashion.
Sales Management System for Franchise Centers
Led the analysis, design, and delivery of a sales tracking and management system for a client with 900+ franchise centers.
Business Process Re-engineering: New Market Entry
Improved the corporate-wide, highly regulated business process to enter new markets—decreasing market entry time by 20%.
I implemented the following (non-IT) business solution, which decreased market entry time and virtually eliminated errors and miscommunication:
• Documented and researched the required regulatory stage gates.
• Designed and implemented appropriate stage-gate ownership and accountability.
• Built the necessary executive tracking and reporting.
• Devised a prioritization process to ensure all business units were properly focused.
• Organized "set up process" checklists.
• Created and implemented a repeatable market entry model.
• Ultimately formed a cohesive, high-performing new market entry team consisting of diverse stakeholders and representatives from business units.
Project Management with Mind Mapping - Tony Buzan Licensed Instructor (TBLI®)
Mind Mapping - Tony Buzan Licensed Instructor (TBLI®)
Certified Scrum Master
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring