Toptal is a marketplace for top interim finance managers. Top companies and start-ups choose Toptal finance experts for their mission-critical finance projects.
A finance manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial operations of a company. This consists primarily of general ledger and financial statement processes within the accounting function and the management of business projections. On a wider level, there will be interactions with the treasury, investor relations, and corporate development functions.
A great finance manager is one that combines rigorous accounting skills with the pragmatic ability to translate business strategy into financial planning.
An effective finance manager job description clearly lists the functions that the role is expected to perform. In addition, it must emphasize the weight towards accounting skills versus transactional financial skills. This is due to the wide-encompassing nature that financial roles can assume within a job capacity.
Write a short and catchy paragraph about your company. Make sure to provide information about the company’s culture, perks, and benefits. Mention office hours, remote working possibilities, and everything else that you think make your company a compelling career choice.
As the finance manager, you will be acting in concert with the leadership team to model out business scenarios, build and track performance metrics, price and evaluate new opportunities, and manage our accounting responsibilities and budgets. You’ll be expected to wear many hats when working with the different divisions of our organization, as such, this is a role for natural problem solvers and team players.
- Liaison with business teams in establishing project budgets and forecasts for both short and long terms.
- Adhere to and stay abreast of recent developments to relevant accounting and tax standards.
- Manage debtor/creditor ledgers and ensure the accuracy of transaction reporting.
- Oversight of balance sheet reconciliations for business units.
- Produce monthly management accounts and own its process management documentation.
- Uncover and drive process improvement opportunities across the Finance team.
- Provide informal training and guidance for junior members of the Finance team.
- Define and track critical success metrics and KPIs of the business, collaborating with other divisions to address them.
- Build actionable reports and dashboards for wider distribution.
- Run regular in-depth analysis of financials to gain key insights and ensure accuracy.
- Work closely with the leadership team on strategy, roadmap, and targets for the business, and advise on hiring decisions and market opportunities.
- Assist the investor relations team with key financial deliverables and ad-hoc requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance. A master’s degree would also be desirable.
- Qualified accountant (CIMA/ACCA/ACA) with demonstrable commercial (and managerial) experience of 5+ years.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications, specifically in Excel, macros, data analysis, and pivot tables.
- Extensive financial statement modeling experience.
- Experience of working with finance systems (e.g. Sage, SAP, Oracle EBS).
- Ability to problem-solve, both autonomously and within teams.
- Approachable and confident personality type, comfortable within a wide range of organizational environments.
- High integrity and natural desire to assume responsibility.