Director of Business Operations
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hyper-growth organization, which means that our core teams, operations infrastructure, and key processes must constantly be evolving to sustain and further this growth. As a Director of Business Operations at Toptal, you’d be instrumental in finding opportunities and implementing solutions that strengthen our core structure and processes across the company. We need someone to work cross-functionally on initiatives and play an active role in building the strategic direction, execution frameworks, processes, KPIs/analytics, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth. This role provides an opportunity to tackle some of the most challenging and impactful problems at Toptal and work alongside with our Executives and other senior company leaders in developing innovative solutions.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Collaborate with your team to identify and prioritize areas of opportunity where there is potential for high impact. Clearly define problems, develop engagement scopes, build comprehensive strategies to solve underlying issues, and execute upon improvement plans that you design in partnership with company leaders.
- Success in this role will require taking an analytical, resourceful, and organized approach to all problem-solving. Application of high-level skills in delivering comprehensive business cases and change plans, coupled with an ability to influence and successfully navigate through interpersonal dynamics will be key to success.
- You will be encouraged to build lasting impact by bringing out the best in your colleagues by understanding their strengths, weaknesses, and motivations, mentoring them, and helping them reach positions where they can succeed through the implementation of self-sustaining processes.
- The life cycle of your projects, at a high level, will be: Dive into a problem, team, or initiative as the leader and primary owner, asking questions to learn everything you can about the subject.
- Remove constraints and utilize transformational thinking to determine creative solutions that will deliver high impact.
- Develop and execute comprehensive implementation and change management plans.
- Produce measurable outcomes and ensure continuity of the positive change beyond your engagement.
Example engagements may include:
- Planning and executing the launch of a new line of business.
- Working with the leaders of a mission-critical team to define and execute the next 6 months of strategic initiatives for the team.
- Planning and implementing a better workflow for collaboration between two key teams.
- Constructing optimal organizational structures, workforce plans, and compensation plans.
- Identifying and filling process gaps.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal while rapidly studying Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams throughout the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Begin learning about Toptal’s OKRs (Objectives and Key Results), analytics infrastructure, and the company’s crucial metrics.
In the first month, expect to:
- Train and be mentored by Toptal’s Business Operations Team and Chief Administrative Officer.
- Contribute to the development of a formalized engagement framework to be used broadly by the team.
- Begin working on projects with smaller problem scopes designed to both deliver impact and familiarize yourself with Toptal Operations.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Establish engagement priorities based on identified problems and create plans for solutions.
- Prepare detailed business cases for relevant approvals.
- Execute on shorter-term planned solutions, frequently acting as an individual contributor, and being relentlessly resourceful to ensure problems are driven to solve successfully.
- Experiment and learn rapidly while building solutions, adapting approaches in real-time by incorporating takeaways and doing everything it takes to make sure the KPIs of the engagements begin moving in the right direction.
- Work with our team to continuously stay up-to-date on the status and evolution of ongoing operations projects and areas of need across the organization, contributing to team discussions by surfacing ideas and standard methodologies from your current project focuses.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Complete your first operations engagements/projects successfully, as evidenced by the associated teams operating efficiently and effectively, relevant KPIs trending up and to the right over time.
- Establish self-sustaining processes and monitoring in order to ensure implementations continue to operate successfully without your day-to-day involvement.
In the first year, expect to:
- Successfully complete 2-4 major operations engagements/projects, each 3-6 months in length and actively delivering impact for Toptal, enabling the organization to scale further.
- Establish yourself as a trusted, general-purpose problem solver at Toptal, capable of tackling any high-impact problem through a rigorous, analytical, creative problem-solving methodology.
- 7+ years of experience in internal operations consulting or working for a top-tier consulting firm, implementing process improvements with measurable outcomes.
- Possess strong business discernment.
- Experience in senior-level operations management roles with accountability to the achievement of KPIs and leadership of complex, cross-functional initiatives.
- Demonstrated skills in developing metrics and applying analytics to successful problem solving and performance monitoring.
- Proven ability to develop operating frameworks and employ creative strategies for problem-solving that lead to resolutions that improve both efficiencies and quality.
- Expertise in developing detailed project proposals and execution plans.
- Strong relationship building and influence skills; highly effective at partnering with and earning the trust of your coworkers to gain consensus on the path forward.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- A 4-year college degree is required; engineering discipline preferred.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.