SMB Account Manager
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
How does being a part of continuing Toptal’s spectacular growth and directly impacting our clients sound? The Account Management team works with existing Toptal clients to build upon their relationships, understand their needs and capitalize on new opportunities that may arise. Assist our clients in building amazing teams with Toptal’s best-in-class talent while growing your skills and developing your career! Toptal only accepts the best - we accept less than 3% of applicants, and we connect organizations with the talent they need with unmatched speed and efficiency. On average, we provide less than two candidates per hire, find candidates in less than 24 hours, and have a 98% success rate. We help organizations build skilled teams, providing everything from key individuals to whole teams - imagine all we can do, together, with such a powerful model!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The success of every client is measured by the performance of many teams working together. The person in this position will be key to the execution of client account plans -doing so in collaboration with our Sales & Talent Operations teams. Act as the main point of contact for a portfolio of clients, managing delivery, operations, and teams with a focus on mutually-beneficial, long-term relationships that establish Toptal as a trusted talent partner. While working for a remote company, the Account Manager will help define an entirely new space by helping the world’s best talent find the perfect opportunity, while also helping leading organizations find the best talent more effectively and efficiently.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our team members, and our story.
- Begin our 1-1 sales training process which conveys our value proposition, sales process, and delivery method.
- Become acquainted with cross-functional teams to grow client relationships.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls and role-play scenarios.
- Begin Toptal’s vertical-specific training, getting familiar with the full range of offerings we make available to our clients.
- Begin to have calls with clients, understand the business partners involved in the relationship on both sides, and identify where we can help partner companies grow.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Complete all vertical-specific training.
- Complete introductory calls with the client base and establish or update account plans for each.
- Establish a working cadence with key clients, business partners, and team members in these accounts.
- Begin to uncover new opportunities with clients that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Provide delivery oversight for all work on managed accounts, ensure customer happiness, and support the talent working with these customers.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Build upon existing client relationships, expand Toptal’s partnership with existing accounts, and execute account plans.
- Expand the scope of engagements at all accounts to incorporate new verticals and new projects.
- Establish a strong history of increased business across this set of accounts.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built an incredible client account portfolio, with a shown history of successful delivery, satisfied clients, and happy team members.
- Begin to mentor new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model and how proper account management practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Continue to expand an account portfolio, accelerate growth in current accounts, and utilize the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Knowledgeable. Broad understanding of business and technical challenges encountered by mid-size businesses and rapidly scaling companies.
- Experienced. 1-3 years of experience employing proven methodologies in account management and relationship-building with mid-size companies and hyper-growth companies resulting in a track record of success.
- Critical thinking. The capability to critically think through the challenges clients face to build opportunities to grow those accounts.
- Client Focus. This person should be driven to build positive relationships and be committed to their client’s success. This extends to the talent we provide, the experience we offer and the outcomes we deliver.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Resourceful. Think about a portfolio as a business
- we want self-starters who are passionate about building this portfolio of accounts, and who flourish with the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Proactive. Understand our mission and do the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. Our Account Managers are not here to be reactive.
- Communication. Communication is the mainstay of relationships both internal and external to Toptal. Reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies.
- Team. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Success at Toptal is determined by being able to work as a team both within Toptal and within client accounts.
- Ownership. Exhibit ownership of accounts, successes, and failures.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems this person is meant to tackle. We are looking for someone who can take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- Priorities. Understand the priorities and timelines associated with each client, and to execute appropriately with those in mind.