Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As the Director of SEO, you will lead the SEO team at Toptal. You’ll be responsible for developing and executing the strategy for short-term and long-term SEO growth. You will lead on-page optimizations, new content generation, technical SEO maintenance, and efforts to grow Domain and Page Authority. You’ll work with a high-energy team of engineers, designers, copywriters, data scientists, and growth experts to grow key business metrics and address both top of funnel head terms and highly qualified long tail terms associated with companies looking to hire elite software engineers, designers, and finance experts.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the world.
You will lead Toptal’s SEO team to continue to grow our organic presence while working with our product team to optimize conversion rates for organic traffic. You will develop a well-informed strategy for sustainable SEO growth and new content generation while providing thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (both written and verbal) to your team around that strategy. You will be responsible for reporting regularly on SEO KPIs (including Ranking, Traffic, CTR, Conversion, and CPA) and for conducting backlink analysis of our site and our competitors to find new link opportunities and monitor link quality. You will conduct ongoing SERP analysis of critical head terms and optimize on-page content and internal link architecture for head terms. You will also be responsible for identifying and managing crawl errors, sitemaps, site speed issues, and any other technical issues that can affect ranking.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Familiarize yourself with current and past SEO strategies and tactics.
- Dive into the roadmap and the biggest opportunities to focus on for improvement.
In the first month you will:
- Learn the details related to existing SEO and technology stacks.
- Connect with the teams you will work closely with, understand how you will work together to drive successful outcomes of your initiatives - e.g., engineering, growth product management, publications, etc.
- Consolidate your roadmap.
In the first three months you will:
- Lead the efforts to fully execute your first strategic projects. You will have support to ensure there is focus on impact.
In the first six months you will:
- Expand scale and scope of your team and projects.
In the first year you will:
- Become the SEO thought leader and manager of an extensive SEO team that is doing cutting-edge SEO innovation
- 2+ years of recent experience leading SEO teams.
- 4+ years of digital marketing, analytics, product, or other relevant experience.
- Deep understanding of SEO concepts and how SEO has evolved over time.
- Experience managing distributed teams.
- Comfort collaborating with both developers and marketers to accomplish SEO objectives, including the ability to create world-class product specifications.
- Knowledge of various technologies and web design principles and their effect on SEO.
- Experience implementing content-focused and technical SEO tactics independently or by working with developers.
- Extensive experience with software for data, tracking, and analytics, including SEMRush and/or Moz Pro, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Keyword Planner, Google * PageSpeed Insights, advanced Excel, etc.
- Be extremely knowledgeable at conversion rate optimization and best practices.
- Have an extremely sharp eye for detail and a strong sense of what types of creative products will be both effective for organic growth and conversion and representative of the Toptal brand.
- Be able to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Gabriel is our VP of Growth Marketing. He leads our customer acquisition strategy for both SMB and Enterprise segments. His career in technology started at age 13 when he built a revenue-generating social website. Afterward, he worked in management consulting, growth and product management in companies such as Facebook and InsideSales.com. He earned degrees in Industrial Engineering, Data Analytics, and an MBA from Stanford University. Outside of work, Gabriel enjoys training for long distance triathlons and traveling around the world.