Privacy & Compliance Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated individual to join our Risk & Compliance team. This newly created role, reporting to our Director of Risk & Compliance, will be responsible for supporting and executing all aspects of global data protection compliance strategy. As a part of the Business Operations team, you will collaborate with Legal on matters surrounding data protection/privacy with input from the appropriate Toptal teams. If you are passionate about implementing and monitoring privacy and compliance initiatives while staying abreast of changes in global regulations - we encourage you to apply!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
In this role, you will be responsible for a broad scope of privacy and compliance activities that includes owning and keeping under constant review all of Toptal’s global data protection compliance arrangements. This also includes updating policies and guidance, centralizing processes, and putting in place robust time-bound remedial plans where necessary. To ensure compliance with privacy regulations, routine performance of related tasks include data deletion requests, withdrawal of consent, the right to be forgotten, access to information requests, data protection assessments, data protection agreements, transfer impact assessments, and monitoring of changes to privacy laws around the globe. You will be expected to partner with Toptal’s key business areas, in particular the IT and Security Operations teams, to ensure data privacy issues are considered at the outset of new projects, products, and initiatives.
Additional responsibilities include assisting the Director of Risk & Compliance with cross-functional audits and performing administrative tasks, such as writing policies and procedures related to initiatives. As you gain experience, the scope of the role may expand into activities such as ensuring compliance with other regulations and fielding worker classification questions. Success in this role will require gaining a broad understanding of compliance requirements pertaining to our industry in a global environment. Additionally, you will need to build strong relationships with internal teams such as Finance, Legal, Product, Revenue, and Operations, as you respond to their privacy and compliance questions.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Review known privacy compliance requirements.
- Review current privacy and compliance policies and procedures.
- Research and identify applicable regulations pertaining to our industry and global presence.
- Learn how to respond to and process data deletion and access to information requests.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work with the Director of Risk & Compliance to review the privacy program.
- Assist with privacy remediation and control efforts across Toptal.
- Perform administrative tasks related to global privacy compliance.
- Participate in information asset register review and audits.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Understand the programs and policies that address prioritized privacy and compliance risks, and monitor such programs and policies.
- Process worker classification compliance checks and work with the Director of Risk & Compliance on failed and borderline results.
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures.
- Monitor control testing programs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Participate in the cross-functional annual privacy risk assessment.
- Monitor privacy processes to address operational risk and ensure the privacy and compliance framework is working efficiently.
- Make process improvement suggestions to our privacy and risk framework.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience in the privacy and compliance field.
- Working knowledge of global privacy laws, and worker classification and compliance laws.
- Expert knowledge drafting DPAs and working with data deletion.
- Excellent research and interpretation skills.
- Experience in legal and compliance principles, with demonstrated analytical skills.
- Experience interfacing cross-organizationally and communicating with executive-level staff.
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.