Risk & Compliance Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated individual to join our Risk & Compliance team. This is a newly built role, reporting to our Director of Risk & Compliance. We are looking for someone to assist with policies, procedures, and programs to prevent circumvention of internal controls or violations of applicable laws and regulations. Are you passionate about implementing and monitoring strategic risk and compliance initiatives while staying abreast of changes in global regulations? If so, we encourage you to apply!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
In this role, you will be responsible for a broad scope of risk and compliance activities that include assisting with company-wide risk assessments, identifying potential risks or compliance points, and following up on the status and progress of remediation plans. To ensure compliance with privacy regulations, the performance of related tasks including data deletion requests and monitoring changes to privacy laws around the globe will be routinely performed. As part of our fraud prevention and resolution program, you will participate in the investigations and research of reported suspicious activities in our talent network.
Additional responsibilities include assisting the Director of Risk & Compliance with cross-functional audits and performing administrative tasks, such as writing policies and procedures related to initiatives. As you gain experience, the scope of the role may expand into activities such as ensuring compliance with anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws, and fielding worker classification questions! Success in this role will require gaining a broad understanding of compliance requirements pertaining to our industry in a global environment. Additionally, this person will need to build strong relationships with internal teams such as Finance, Legal, Product, Revenue, and Operations, as you respond to their privacy questions, and participate in investigations.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Review known regulatory compliance requirements.
- Review current risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Research and identify applicable regulations pertaining to our industry and global presence.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Maintain and follow up on the inventory of risks identified in the company-wide risk assessment.
- Assist with remediation and control efforts across Toptal.
- Perform administrative tasks related to global privacy compliance.
- Participate in suspicious activities investigations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Understand the programs and policies that address prioritized risks, and monitor such programs and policies.
- Process worker classification compliance checks and work with the Director of Risk & Compliance on failed and borderline results.
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures.
- Monitor control testing programs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Participate in the cross-functional annual risk assessment.
- Monitor the processes to address operational risk and ensure the risk and compliance framework is working efficiently.
- Make process improvement suggestions to our framework.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience in a risk and compliance field.
- Working knowledge of global privacy laws, and worker classification and compliance laws.
- Basic knowledge and experience with suspicious activity investigation techniques.
- Excellent research and interpretation skills.
- Experience in auditing and risk management principles, with demonstrated analytical skills.
- Experience interfacing cross-organizationally and communicating with executive-level staff.
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.