Agile Program Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Would you like to join one of technology’s fastest-growing companies and help support that growth across a fully remote Engineering organization of over 35 teams? If you love Agile, mentoring/coaching, and have a solid fundamental understanding of project/program management, SDLC, and Product Management, you might be a match for our team.
We’re a young team, but also growing rapidly, and we have diverse and interesting opportunities across the organization. Along with helping address the challenges that come with Toptal’s 40% year-over-year growth, we’re responsible for cultivating a strong Agile culture (Scrum, Kanban, and scaled versions of Agile), promoting a strong delivery mindset across Engineering, executing strategic initiatives, and providing the tools/frameworks to help teams perform their best. For you, DevOps culture, CD, and CI can’t just be buzzwords – Toptal is living and improving them every day. We’re not a startup anymore, but we still have that creative drive and a performance mindset.
A typical day in the PMO could see you mentoring a newly-promoted Engineering Manager and their team in the morning on Scrum ceremonies, working on one or more of Engineering’s strategic initiatives in the afternoon, updating stakeholders, then wrapping up the day answering another team’s questions about Kanban.
If you are a strong leader who pulls with the team, thrives by seeing others succeed, and wants to be a part of driving the World’s Greatest Talent company to become a world-class enterprise business, start a conversation with us.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The PM’s ultimate responsibility is to apply project management knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to ensure that the program generates successful outcomes, that engaged teams are happy, and that business partners are satisfied.
- Lead through influencing – build consensus across complex multi-functional teams to drive desired business outcomes.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative, continuously improving delivery culture.
- Teach or mentor less experienced Toptalers in modern Agile concepts, values, principles, and practices.
- Work with others to assess and then decide what methodology (or a mix of methodologies), organizational structure, governance, capabilities, and resources are best to reach the program goals.
- Ensure program documentation drives clarity, alignment on what needs to be done, why, and what teams do what and when – whether you’re the author or not.
- Identify and surface any bottlenecks and impediments that could slow the program’s momentum.
- Communicate the program’s health, risks, issues, progress, achievements, and failures to ensure transparency and alignment.
- Support teams through their quarterly planning: identify and address dependencies, help teams define scope and schedules, and coordinate release planning.
- Facilitate decision-making around changes to project scope, timeline, quality, and cost.
- Enable continuous improvement, ensuring findings are captured, shared, and integrated.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Learn about Program Management Office vision, mission, and 2021 OKRs.
- Become familiar with Toptal’s Product Development Process.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take the lead of one of our engineering strategic initiatives.
- Gain an understanding of the Engineering and Product quarterly planning process.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Gain the trust of PMO business partners.
- Manage more than one program at a time.
- Begin evangelizing Toptal’s Product Development Process.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Share knowledge and experience with colleagues and help to foster a mature Agile delivery culture across product and engineering teams.
- Help to staff the PMO team by helping to hire other great Agile program managers.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a role model for less experienced colleagues.
- Be a true do-er able to deal with agile at scale challenges and loads of ambiguity.
- Have professional project management experience (5+ years) in software product development and engineering.
- You are an expert in Scrum and you are at least familiar with Kanban (if not, we’ll teach you).
- Ideally, have some experience in scaled Agile frameworks LeSS and SoS, basic knowledge of SAFe.
- Be excellent in shareholder management across all organizational levels.
- Be a confident public speaker and facilitator.
- Understand working with technical teams, but possess business acumen.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
[Please Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.]