AP & Payroll Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Accounts Payable and Payroll Specialist, you will be a part of Toptal’s fast-paced environment while continuously demonstrating world-class customer service. In this role, time management and the ability to prioritize tasks comes naturally to you, ensuring efficiency with every detail you handle and complete. We value outstanding service and exceptional communication.
Your professional interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, will shine through with every interaction. Through your attention to detail and the emphasis you place on service standards, discrepancies will be resolved appropriately and payments to our Talent Network will be processed efficiently. The capacity to explain payment transaction details is critical to ensuring business relationships remain strong and Talent and Core Team members feel valued. You understand the impact exceptional service truly has on your own success, as well as the strengthening of business relationships. You set the bar high and work daily to push the limits when it comes to service standards.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
We expect you to bring a can-do spirit to work with you daily. You will always be professional in your communication, whether working with our internal teams or members of the Talent Network. Your natural ability to be organized will be evident as you see tasks to completion with efficiency. You will use the provided internal tools and payment applications to complete daily tasks and continuously look for ways to better utilize resources. You will assist with financial reconciliations, document control, and other basic Payroll and clerical functions to support the overall business. You will approach every challenge with a positive attitude and view problems as an opportunity for improvement. Your team, talents, and others will know they can always count on you to provide exceptional service and uphold the Toptal reputation.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a heavy focus on how finance operates at Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including SMB, Enterprise, and Talent Operations.
In the first month, expect to:
- Learn to process and adjust payments to our Talent.
- Train to understand primary Payroll and other related functions.
- Provide support to the talent network regarding their payment methods, tracking payments, and notify and resolve access issues for talent accounts.
- Support payment vendors with data needed for compliance.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Compile International & US Commissions for semi-monthly payrolls.
- Create new hire Core team payment profiles.
- Research and request all the talent payment issues and needs.
- Be the sole contact for the talent network support.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Process US and International Core Team Payroll independently.
- Identify process and documentation improvements with a plan for implementation.
In the first year, expect to:
- Ensure all process documentation is reviewed and additional processes are documented.
- Evaluate the efficiency of the current operational processes and make recommendations.
- At least 1-3 years of experience in payroll or AP related functions.
- Basic knowledge of payroll & accounting principles.
- Ability to learn business processes and utilize resources.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to avoid complexity and build simplified and intuitive recommendations.
- Strong professional skepticism, including the capability to challenge assumptions/calculations, communicate limitations and flag blind spots.
- Ownership ability of assigned tasks and duties, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of requests.
- Self-motivated, able to be hands-on when analyzing, interpreting, and deriving insights into issues.
- Strong attention to detail.
- You must be an outstanding and collaborative individual contributor to succeed at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.