Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As a community, the Toptal network places a great deal of emphasis on mentorship, professional development, and free exchange of knowledge and expertise. Many Toptalers are extremely active open source contributors. As Toptal’s Community Marketing Manager, you will lead major initiatives designed to support Toptalers. You will work with the Community Team and team leads across the company to structure high-impact, large-scale open source community initiatives, and will be relied on heavily as the company’s expert in marketing asset generation and curation from these initiatives. You will be the primary manager of all digital photo, video, and written assets for Toptal’s Community events, sponsorships, and initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will lead the strategy and execution of large-scale open source associated initiatives designed to provide dedicated support to Toptalers who would like to pursue their open source interests. You will evaluate the merit of prospective open source projects and determine the allocation of Toptal resources and support. Through your direct work with members of the Toptal community, you will guide and accelerate their open source pursuits. You will organize and maintain project reviews and status updates with key stakeholders. It will be your responsibility to pull and report on key wins and challenges from various open source projects for marketing and blog posts. You will work with teams across the company to lead and manage partnerships with organizations for cross promotions that add value to the Toptal Community. You will also maintain and grow the organization’s network of contacts in the technology and open source space. It will be vital for you to stay up-to-date with developments in the Toptal Community initiatives and bridge communication between Toptal’s various internal functions to maximize exposure and reach. You will represent the organization at interviews with media outlets and organizations and contribute to weekly team meetings and strategy sessions.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of key stakeholders.
In the first month you will:
- Create and implement a system to manage the logistics of the Toptal Open Source Grants and Scholarships programs.
- Identify marketing asset sources and create systems to collect, analyze, and share these assets with social media coordinators.
In the first three months you will:
- Fully own and operate the Toptal Open Source Grants Program.
- Work seamlessly with both Community and Marketing teams to have a steady pipeline of digital assets for social media, publications, and podcast teams.
In the first six months you will:
- Identify outreach opportunities, ensure communication with key contacts happens successfully.
- Know the ins and outs of the Toptal Community and begin to leverage Community assets in all Toptal functions.
In the first year you will:
- Ensure all opportunities are handed off seamlessly to relevant stakeholders and follow through is completed.
- Make it happen. You will be a primary force in driving and shaping new avenues of opportunity for all aspects of the Community philanthropic function at Toptal.
- You must have experience curating, refining, and implementing marketing assets including photo, video, audio, and written assets.
- Strong public speaking skills. Experience giving talks on complex technological topics is preferred.
- You must have copywriting experience with a strong attention to detail. Experience in technical writing and contributing to publications is a strong asset.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must have a strong commitment to initiatives that further open sharing of knowledge, expertise, and mentorship.
- You must have a strategic mindset and the ability to thoroughly research opportunities and prioritize them based on impact.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- Project management with exceptional organizational skills will be required to succeed in this role.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Eryn is a well-seasoned team lead with extensive experience building and implementing successful marketing and launch campaigns for a number of large technology brands. At Toptal, Eryn leads the Community Team which helps tie together initiatives from many areas such as growth, sourcing, marketing, sales, and matching. Eryn is a true digital nomad and has worked and traveled in over 25 countries and is also a Remote Year alumni.
- Passionate about working with organizations who are changing the status quo, Lauren has spent her career building digital, brand, and product marketing programs from the ground up at B2B, B2C, and ecommerce tech startups. Prior to joining Toptal as the Director of Marketing, she was the VP of Marketing at Chicago-based customer loyalty platform Belly, the Content Marketing Manager for San Francisco-based Base CRM, and the Director of Communications for Boston-based e-commerce site Valorebooks.com (acquired by Follett). At Toptal, Lauren partners with marketing, sales, design, engineering, product, and operations to drive high-impact customer experience initiatives that maximize growth.