Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for an experienced Copy Editor to oversee our content editing needs in a fast-paced environment with a focus on quality and attention to detail. You will work with the Publications team to ensure that all of our articles are consistent, cohesive, and free of grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The copy editor will be responsible for working within our content publishing system, and with our writers, editors, and senior writers to copy edit, provide constructive feedback, and publish world-class articles for our elite audience. The copy editor will also be responsible for maintaining in-house style guidelines and will work closely with the Head of Publications to develop the appropriate writing resources for our Publications team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available to you.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with all members of the Publications team to understand each aspect of the content being published.
- Gain an understanding of the content publishing system and the processes involved in copy editing articles.
- Work with the Lead Editors to begin establishing a workflow and start copy editing articles. Provide feedback on each content piece.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Define and execute a set of style guides for key areas of the Publications team.
- Stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments, and providing intelligence to our team as it relates to copy editing.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Help the writers, editors, and senior writers continually improve their ability to publish high-quality content to an elite audience.
In the first year, expect to:
- Support a full-fledged Publications team, consistently working to improve the quality and impact of our content through suggestions, education, attention to detail, and workflow improvements.
- Minimum 5 years of copy editing experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Mastery of spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors and the ability to make constructive suggestions.
- Proficiency in applying the principles of AP Style to different types of writing and a thorough understanding of AP Stylebook.
- Thorough knowledge of content production and communication.
- Ability to work within a content publishing system using markup language.
- Ability to remain detailed-oriented and focused when processing large amounts of text.
- Willingness to collaborate with a creative team of senior writers and editors.
- Willingness to give constructive criticism on each content piece.
- Ability to perform at the highest level in a fast-growing company.
- Meticulous focus on execution, detail, and quality.
- Self-starter with the ability to define strategy and execute with limited guidance.
- Willingness to participate in special projects related to copy editing.
- Perfectionist tendencies and impeccable attention to detail.
- Capable of working quickly and accurately under pressure and tight deadlines.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.