Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
At Toptal, we measure everything and always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives, including both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations.
As a Data Engineer, your main goal is to be one step ahead of data scientists and analysts, and support them by providing infrastructure and tools they can use to deliver end-to-end solutions to business problems that can be developed rapidly and maintained easily. This is more than building and maintaining ETL pipelines. We need innovation, creativity and solutions that will have significant impact on our velocity. We, in turn, will give you autonomy and freedom to turn your ideas into reality.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. However, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Build scalable, highly performant infrastructure for delivering clear business insights from a variety of raw data sources.
- Develop batch & real-time analytical solutions, prototypes, and proofs of concept for selected solutions.
- Implement complex analytical projects with a focus on collecting, managing, analyzing, and visualizing data.
- Build frameworks and tools to empower our data scientists and analysts.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other relevant parties and convey results efficiently and clearly.
- Working experience with Python, Pandas. Prior experience with Luigi is a plus.
- Working experience with Scala and Spark is a big plus.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform (e.g. GCS and BigQuery) is a plus.
- Working experience with Ruby and Rails is a plus.
- Familiarity with the basic principles of distributed computing and data modeling.
- Extensive experience with object-oriented design and coding and testing patterns, including experience with engineering software platforms and data infrastructures. Familiarity with functional programming concepts is a plus.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be excited about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Artem's diverse work background ranges from machine learning consulting to being the CTO of boomstarter.ru. He graduated with honors from Moscow State University with a double major in Mathematics and Computer Science, and has done further research in the field of Game Theory while completing his PhD.
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.