Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
At Toptal, we measure everything and always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives, including both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations.
As a Data Engineer, your main goal is to be one step ahead of data scientists and analysts, and support them by providing infrastructure and tools they can use to deliver end-to-end solutions to business problems that can be developed rapidly and maintained easily. This is more than building and maintaining ETL pipelines. We need innovation, creativity and solutions that will have significant impact on our velocity. We, in turn, will give you autonomy and freedom to turn your ideas into reality.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Build scalable, highly performant infrastructure for delivering clear business insights from a variety of raw data sources.
- Develop batch & real-time analytical solutions, prototypes, and proofs of concept for selected solutions.
- Implement complex analytical projects with a focus on collecting, managing, analyzing, and visualizing data.
- Build frameworks and tools to empower our data scientists and analysts.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other relevant parties and convey results efficiently and clearly.
- Working experience with Python, Pandas. Prior experience with Luigi is a plus.
- Working experience with Scala and Airflow is a big plus.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform (e.g. GCS and BigQuery) is a plus.
- Working experience with Dimensional Modeling and Rails is a plus.
- Familiarity with the basic principles of distributed computing and data modeling.
- Extensive experience with object-oriented design and coding and testing patterns, including experience with engineering software platforms and data infrastructures. Familiarity with functional programming concepts is a plus.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be excited about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.