Director of Business Operations - Sales/Revenue Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization, which means that our core teams and operations infrastructure must constantly be evolving to sustain and further this growth. As a Director of Business Operations at Toptal, you will work on functional initiatives to help build strategic direction, execution frameworks, process automation and workflow enhancements, KPIs, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth. You will be trusted to tackle challenging and impactful problems at Toptal, working directly with the function executives to achieve success.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work with the Toptal Revenue Team, the team responsible for overseeing business strategy, sales, and client success for Toptal. This team identifies, builds, and cultivates long-term mutually beneficial relationships with Toptal’s clients and partners. You will scope initiatives, develop frameworks, and build comprehensive strategies to meet objectives - executing flawlessly upon them.
In this role, you will partner with executives and other senior leaders to achieve successful outcomes through major company initiatives that result in new offerings, enhanced infrastructure, and processes. Your ability to learn the business, partner with function executives, develop recommendations and act swiftly to drive to completion will be key to your success. Upon completion, you will ‘own’ or significantly support the initiative on an ongoing basis and work for continual improvement to support Toptal’s hyper-growth strategies.
The life cycle of your projects, at a high level, will be: Dive into a company initiative with a consultant’s mindset, ask questions to learn everything you can about the subject. Remove constraints and use non-incremental thinking to determine how to frame the initiative such that the related projects and components can deliver an order of magnitude greater impact. Execute on your plans, frequently doing things yourself as an individual contributor, and laying a solid foundation that can be built upon and owned or significantly supported by you upon completion. Ensure that the project can be sustainable within the function or company into the future by implementing processes that allow for its success into the future.
Example initiatives may include:
- Planning and executing the launch of a new operational business unit.
- Working with executives and other senior leaders to optimize outcomes and execute upon strategic and operational initiatives for the team.
- Planning and executing the launch of new products or services.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow business analysts across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations, goals, and measurable outcomes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Undergo a deeper training and mentorship period with Toptal’s Operation Team, including Toptal’s CAO and existing Directors of Operations.
- Begin initial scoping of assigned functional initiative.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work alongside Functional Team leaders to determine outcomes, make recommendations, and scope project plans
- Partner with Business Operations and Project Managers to build and execute upon a comprehensive plan under the guidance of Functional Leadership.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Make significant progress on the initiative execution plan, as evidenced by the achievement of initiative milestones and KPIs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Own or assume a key role in the ongoing execution and further enhancement of the assigned initiative.
- 5+ years combined business operations and consulting experience.
- At least 1 year working for a major consulting firm with expertise in the development of strategic operational frameworks and executive presentations.
- Leadership experience with responsibility for business results in a fast-paced, multi-function environment.
- Creative problem solver with proven results in improving processes in a business operations and/or sales environment.
- Ability to leverage data to perform root cause analysis and address the source of issues.
- Proven ability to develop creative solutions that result in measurable transformative outcomes that reach beyond incremental improvements.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to influence and execute effectively in a cross-functional environment.
- Impeccable organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- A knack for being able to convey complex information and recommendations in a clear, logical, understandable manner to stakeholders at executive levels.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a high integrity, team player with the flexibility to meet the demands of changing business priorities.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.