Director of Communications
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a creative and strategic storyteller who knows how to amplify the mission, work, and purpose of an organization? Toptal is seeking to appoint a Director of Communications who will help to craft and deliver the company’s media and stakeholder engagement strategy. Toptal is creating a series of initiatives designed to raise the company’s profile and support its future growth ambitions. Reporting to the VP of Communications, this position will play a central role in creating and executing those programs. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to help build a Communications function to support a global organization solving the problem of the talent shortage with a disruptive, paradigm-shifting model.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
As a communications leader in the company, you will work closely with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to develop a brand and communication strategy that will appeal to media and influencers alike. You will be expected to handle both in-bound media inquiries and also develop proactive strategies that create positive and informed media coverage for the company. You will provide counsel to the CEO and senior management on media-related matters and you will be constantly networking across the company looking for interesting and noteworthy stories and ways in which we can amplify the Toptal brand.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet the colleagues you will most frequently interact with. You will meet (or plan to meet) members of the Senior Leadership Team.
In the first month, expect to:
- Contribute immediately to the ongoing plans to build the communication and brand strategy.
- Create your own complimentary communication strategy and start to develop story ideas and plans that you can deliver in your first three months.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Deliver several stories into the media and gain coverage in significant/meaningful media channels.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a well-organized process that is regularly delivering news and stories that elevate our brand awareness and increase our media coverage and share of media coverage.
In the first year, expect to:
- Firmly establish yourself as a communication leader inside and outside the organization and be seen as a credible successor to the VP of Communications.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in senior corporate communications positions is preferred but we are also open to a journalist with over 10 years’ experience.
- Significant experience working in both proactive and reactive communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to provide candid, persuasive counsel to senior executives.
- Deep understanding of the media industry landscape and proven hands-on media relations experience with top-tier business, consumer, and tech media.
- A strong network of established contacts, combined with demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building new relationships with top-tier media outlets worldwide.
- A creative and strategic storyteller who knows how to amplify the mission, work, and purpose of an organization.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.