Director of Engineering
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Director of Engineering at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a groundbreaking, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. We need someone to lead and work across several engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery while driving engineering excellence and ensuring teams are delivering high-value results. We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be a technical and people steward for the teams you lead and manage. You will act as a mini-CTO within Toptal and report directly to the Chief Technology Officer. You will drive impact through the relationships you develop and the goals you deliver on. You will constantly be looking for ways to improve our products, workflow, technology stack, and to grow and develop the people under your management. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our team and begin your introduction to Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to understand our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Participate in team planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Build regular feedback loops and be in constant daily communication with your teams.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include a weekly Engineering Leadership call and the once-a-month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be leading three to four engineering teams.
- Understand the teams’ impediments and begin improving them.
- Ensure the product roadmap is well thought out and feasible for each team.
- Make sure that every team is adequately staffed and supported.
- Ensure that individuals are energized and motivated by their work.
- Drive the implementation of engineering standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Ensure teams are producing high-quality results.
- Be involved in architectural conversations and give suggestions on improving code quality.
- Continue to increase the potential and performance of the teams.
- Collaborate on personal career paths and goals for everyone on the teams.
- Engage in interviewing for Toptal and hire exceptional people.
In the first year, expect to:
- Continue to identify and eliminate team distractions.
- Conduct performance and salary reviews.
- Continue to grow, develop, and support the teams while identifying future leaders within Toptal.
- Drive consensus and results across groups.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Contribute to management initiatives that impact the wellbeing of all engineers.
- Have previous experience managing multiple engineering teams.
- Have experience in mentoring leaders and helping them grow.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and an Engineering Manager.
- Have experience guiding the continuous improvement of processes and technology.
- Excel at ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Take quality as a foundation for everything. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Have the ability to take risks and champion new ideas. You feel the drive to innovate.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills. You are able to explain complex ideas to stakeholders at many levels.
- Show a high level of emotional intelligence and awareness.
- Grow with us in our journey towards becoming the best Talent company in the world.