Director of Inbound Sales, SMB
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Director of SMB Inbound Sales will bring strategic execution to Toptal’s SMB inbound sales team. Our inbound sales team is a driving force of our unprecedented growth, and we are looking for an experienced leader to coach and lead the team while promoting Toptal’s customer-centric strategy. Successful leaders at Toptal have keen attention to detail, are driven, and have an ability to critically think through problems, all while being an inspiring leader to their teams. Are you up for the challenge?
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the United States. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
This role will lead the group responsible for growing Toptal’s SMB and Mid-Market revenue by improving conversion of inbound leads by managing, coaching, and scaling our inbound sales team. This role should be a coach of coaches. The successful leader in this role will define a strategy to efficiently and effectively acquire a large total addressable market composed of thousands of potential clients around the world. By monitoring, assessing, and responding to key metric results, you will ensure that the team is performing at optimum levels and improving effectiveness and efficiency. You will closely watch revenue growth and conversion rates among other key indicators. You’ll have the opportunity to roll your sleeves up and help the team lead all aspects of their assigned leads, develop strategies for articulating Toptal’s value to new prospective clients, and coach them to manage pipeline and close new opportunities in their accounts. Once able, periodic travel could be required to build senior-level relationships with our most strategic clients and serve as a Toptal representative at conferences and regional events.
Internally, this position will work seamlessly with leadership from Client Services, Talent Operations, and Client Experience to support a team-based approach to providing best-in-class service. You are encouraged to think creatively while providing vital analytics to support your strategic approach to other business leaders within Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal leadership.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our team members, and our story.
- Become acquainted with the cross-functional teams that you will be working closely alongside.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, and gain an understanding of who our clients are and why they choose Toptal.
- Complete Toptal’s vertical-specific training, familiarizing yourself with the full range of offerings we make available to our clients.
- Have met with every member of the Inbound Sales Management team on a 1:1 basis.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop your strategy to increase inbound sales as a larger growth source for SMB with input from other Senior Leadership Team members within SMB and Growth, Talent Operations, and Product.
- In partnership with sales enablement and operations, formulate funnel management playbooks, revise planning activities, establish key revenue drivers with supporting metrics to drive impact, and establish winning closing strategies.
- Mentor, coach, and train members of your team to deliver results and execute the strategy which you have set. Set goals for individuals within Inbound Sales.
- Deliver detailed presentations to cross-departmental business partners covering metrics, key takeaways, and action plans based on data analysis.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a strong operating framework to carry out your crafted strategy.
- Regularly assess team performance against previously determined Key Performance Indicators and utilize sales enablement and operations to continuously improve.
- Continue to build, coach, and mentor team members guiding them to achieve greater success.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have an optimized, well-run inbound sales function that maximizes our ability to capture market demand of Toptal’s SMB prospects in a profitable way.
- Continue to drive a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and record-breaking results.
- Experienced. You have led leaders and teams of sales professionals (inbound, outbound, or hybrid) and successfully coached individuals on standard methodologies in funnel management and a sales process with small and mid-size businesses and hyper-growth companies, resulting in increased revenue and positive team morale.
- Pioneer. You don’t join companies to ride a wave, you show up to make an impact and leave your mark. Outstanding contributors thrive at Toptal, and we eliminate all barriers so you can “lead from the front” to help us achieve shared goals and win as one.
- Critical thinker. You have strong analytical and problem resolution skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and support creative solutions rooted in data.
- Resourceful. You are a growth driver, a self-starter, and are passionate about innovation. You flourish when you have the freedom and accountability to lead a business unit under the strategy you set.
- Proactive. You understand our mission and will do the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. You are not reactive.
- Excellent communicator. Communication is the lifeline of your relationships both internal and external to Toptal, and the remote nature of our company makes this attribute essential.
- Collaborator. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Your success depends on your ability to work as a team both within Toptal and externally with our clients.