Head of Brand Design
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a Head of Brand Design to join our growing team. This is an opportunity to join a fully remote Design team as a senior practitioner and Design leader. Your contribution will have a significant impact on the quality and creativity of the Brand Design team’s work. This position requires a balance of creativity, improvisation, collaboration, and leadership in a fast-paced, iterative culture.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will lead an expanding team of Designers in the creation of a range of marketing assets.
- Champion the brand’s visual identity and advocate for consistency and coherence across a high volume of brand touchpoints.
- Attend project kick-off meetings, consulting with stakeholders across the organization to develop design strategies and project plans.
- Partner with the Design Operations team to maximize efficiency while also cultivating a culture of quality and craft.
- Guide, mentor, coach and inspire individual Designers—enabling them to create world-class design solutions that enhance the Toptal brand.
- Cultivate a culture of design leadership, project ownership, design thinking, and design craft.
- Help establish systems and standards that ensure creative excellence across audiences, geographies and channels.
- Lead self-identified initiatives that drive the business and brand forward.
- Contribute to projects hands-on and demonstrate a high bar of quality and a refined aesthetic.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn the basics through Toptal’s thorough onboarding process.
- Study Toptal’s brand guidelines and visual language.
- Meet your colleagues on the Creative and Marketing teams.
In the first month, expect to:
- Get comfortable with our processes and tools—and with working remotely across geographies.
- Partner with the Brand Design leadership to understand and expand the vision for the Brand Design Team.
- Lead weekly Design team meetings.
- Attend multiple kick-off calls for a range of design projects.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Establish yourself as a trusted Design leader who knows how to bring out the best in each Designer on the team.
- Set up weekly meetings with individual Designers to review work, help solve challenges and promote a culture of design excellence.
- Have command of Toptal’s visual language and understand how each touchpoint fits within the larger brand ecosystem.
- Present design concepts for a large-scale initiative to senior leadership.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Participate as a leader in a range of large-scale company initiatives.
- Make a positive impact on the way stakeholders and the Design team collaborate.
- Establish productive relationships with colleagues across the organization.
In the first year, expect to:
- Make recommendations for expanding the team in the future.
- 7-10 years of Design experience in an agency or in-house setting with at least five years as a Design leader; tech start-up experience is a plus.
- 3+ years of managerial experience.
- A design portfolio that demonstrates your ability to lead Design teams in developing a sophisticated and consistent body of work.
- Ability to lead meetings with colleagues from across the organization—with an emphasis on providing strategic design consultation and establishing project scopes.
- Excellent multi-tasker—owning multiple projects simultaneously, remaining flexible through revisions while keeping a keen eye on every detail.
- Experience in Motion Design is a plus (storyboarding, providing direction to animators).
- MFA in Graphic Design.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; English proficiency.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.