Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
The Toptal community includes of thousands of top engineers and designers from over one hundred countries around the world, and places great emphasis on professional development, mentorship, and social engagement.
As Toptal’s Head of Community, you will lead the team responsible for making sure that everyone in the Toptal community has a wide variety of high-impact opportunities to great value for themselves at Toptal. You will be leading the strategic development and execution of large-scale global online and in-person initiatives designed to engage and support Toptalers all around the world. You will lead the community team in working with dozens of local leaders and online moderators to guide the community’s growth and development, and will work with team leads across the company to build the analytics capabilities and infrastructure the team needs to effectively scale.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the Community Team.
- Guide the continuous development and execution of the online and offline community strategy.
- Work with team leads across the company to build additional analytics capabilities and infrastructure to allow the team to scale seamlessly.
- Build and maintain strategic external partnerships while strengthening Toptal’s global network.
- Work with engineers and product teams to guide the development of product to support the operations of the Toptal Community Team.
- Interview, hire, and train new members of the Community Team to expand the team’s geographic and strategic focuses.
- Monitor, optimize, and report on community growth metrics and KPIs, and determine the optimal distribution of Community Team resources.
- Travel regularly to community events around the world, ranging from exclusive technical conferences in Argentina, to panel chats in NYC, to happy hours in Croatia.
- Represent Toptal by planning and delivering keynote speeches at events and conferences around the world.
- Lead weekly team meetings and strategy sessions.
- Communicate constantly with teams via Skype.
- A background in the tech industry or startup world, with a strong understanding of startup and software engineering culture.
- Experience with team-building and scaling operations in a rapidly moving environment.
- You must be a strong public speaker.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple projects and priorities.
- You need to be comfortable with all aspects of global recruitment and management of global teams, and you must always be an outstanding brand ambassador.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- Dror has a BSE in Chemical and Biological Engineering and a minor in Computer Science from Princeton University, where he was the President of the Engineering Honor Society. At Toptal, Dror helps teams across the company scale through improved execution frameworks, analytics, and hiring practices, ensuring that team operating models evolve to support Toptal’s rapid growth. Dror also spends most of his time traveling, frequently visiting Toptalers and Toptal communities around the world.