Head of Community
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Toptal community is a network of thousands of talent in more than 100 countries around the world, each representing the top 3% of practitioners in their fields.
This network is one of Toptal’s most valuable assets. The job of the Community team is to develop programs that help each member get the most value out of being a part of that community of professionals. By fostering connections within the talent network, our Community team drives increased engagement and retention of the top talent in our network.
We are looking for a creative leader who can elevate our community programs. In this role, you will conceive, design, develop, operationalize, implement a series of programs that will deliver the most value to talent, specifically by helping them build valuable relationships with other talent in the network. As someone who is highly analytical in nature, a data-driven approach will be leveraged in any and all initiatives that you will lead or support. Some examples of programs may include:
- Volunteer programs and pro-bono work
- Professional programs - i.e., tech talks, networking events, conference meetups
- Mentorship programs between members of the talent network
- Learning Communities for talent in our educational programs
- Writing and Speaking programs, in coordination with our Brand Marketing team
- Talent-led conferences
- Social programs - i.e., book club or soccer league
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will own each program end-to-end, including:
- Understand the unique needs and values of our Toptal community
- Brainstorm creative ideas for programs that address those needs; assess the feasibility and cost of each alternative
- Design and execute a program pilot to test impact; measure program impact using metrics that tie to business goals (talent retention, revenue generation, etc.)
- Operationalize and scale program using the support of your team and/or members of the talent community
- Continue evolving programs as needed to ensure they remain relevant to talent and continue to deliver positive ROI on investment
Additional responsibilities include:
- Managing a collaborative team to support you in these initiatives
- Serving as the connective tissue between Toptal’s Core team and the Toptal community; designing appropriate workflows to partner with cross-functional teams that need to tap into our Community’s expertise.
- Partnering with the Product team to develop software solutions to improve community engagement
- Acting as a steward of Toptal in ensuring our budget is allocated to the programs with the highest return on investment
- Serving as the owner of our Slack community to promote meaningful dialogue in a user-friendly way
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Understand the core of Toptal’s service, the Toptal community, and its value proposition to both talent and clients.
- Learn the responsibilities and priorities of all Talent-facing teams at Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand current Community projects and initiatives and begin managing ongoing Community responsibilities.
- Meet with key cross-functional partners to understand their goals and how Community can support them.
- Meet with members of the talent community to understand their first-hand perspective.
- Assess current state and begin to develop a 6-12 month strategy and roadmap for Community.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a robust, data-driven strategy for Community.
- Work with your team to develop and launch 1-2 programs and/or initiatives from your Community roadmap.
- Design KPIs and work with the data team to create appropriate dashboards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Build strong cross-functional relationships, developing the appropriate processes to leverage our Community throughout all functions.
- Recommend new features for Toptal’s talent portal to improve community engagement.
- Continue launching new initiatives from your Community roadmap.
In the first year, expect to:
- Scale high-impact and innovative initiatives.
- Measure the impact of your work with meaningful improvements to key company objectives.
- Strategic: you have a strong vision for what community looks like at Toptal and can articulate how a vibrant community supports Toptal’s business goals.
- Analytical: you can leverage Toptal’s wealth of data to make data-driven recommendations on project priorities, budget allocations, and defining and driving metrics for success.
- Program manager: you can successfully launch and operate high-quality programs with multiple stakeholders and moving parts.
- Willingness to travel: you are willing and eager to speak with our talent on a regular basis, both in 1-on-1 and large group conversations. Post-COVID, you are willing to travel occasionally to attend major events in person.
- Cross-functional: you have experience building collaborative and effective relationships with cross-functional teams.
- Prioritization skills: you can effectively balance ongoing business operations and driving meaningful initiative.
- At least 2 years of people management experience.
- Passion for building communities.
- Strong communicator, especially in written English.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.