Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As the Head of Community, you will lead a high-energy team whose job is to engage and support thousands of Toptal engineers—both online via toptal.com and across hundreds of local communities around the world. You will work with dozens of local leaders to help coordinate events and encourage learning, communication, and collaboration to accelerate the already thriving Toptal community. You will work with dozens of core team members to create and support the infrastructure needed to scale our community—both internally and externally. You will work with the founders on special projects and growth initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Create the online and offline community strategy and implement new procedures and systems, including the moderation policy, escalation and customer service procedures, and community engagement and outreach initiatives. You will regularly monitor these initiatives to ensure that they are accomplished professionally and effectively.
- Create and maintain strong external partnerships while strengthening Toptal’s global network.
- Work with engineers and product teams to create software infrastructure around the Toptal community.
- Reveal new growth, partnership, and community opportunities.
- Monitor, optimize, and report on growth metrics and KPIs.
- Participate in weekly team meetings and strategy sessions.
- Communicate constantly with teams via Skype.
- To excel at this position, you must be energetic and proactive.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple projects and priorities.
- You need to be comfortable with all aspects of global recruitment and management of global teams, and you must always be an outstanding brand ambassador.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.