Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
The Toptal community includes thousands of top engineers, designers, and finance experts from over one hundred countries around the world and places great emphasis on professional development, mentorship, and social engagement.
As Toptal’s Head of Community, you will lead the team responsible for making sure that everyone in the Toptal community has a wide variety of high-impact opportunities. You will be leading the strategic development and execution of large-scale global online and in-person initiatives designed to engage and support Toptalers all around the world. You will lead the Community Team in working with dozens of local leaders and online moderators to guide the community’s growth and development and will work with team leads across the company to build the analytics capabilities and infrastructure the team needs to effectively scale.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will lead the day-to-day operations of the Community Team and spearhead the continuous development and execution of the online and offline Community strategy. By working with engineers and product teams, you will guide the development of product to support the operations of the Toptal Community Team. You will expand the Team’s geographic and strategic focuses by interviewing, hiring, and training new members of the Community Team. You will be responsible for monitoring, optimizing, and reporting on community growth metrics and KPIs and determining the optimal distribution of Community Team resources. You will represent Toptal globally by traveling regularly to community events (ranging from exclusive technical conferences in Argentina, to panel chats in NYC, to happy hours in Croatia) and by planning and delivering keynote speeches at events and conferences around the world.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal, its community, and what sets it apart.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of key stakeholders.
In the first month you will:
- Familiarize yourself with existing community regions, initiatives, and key opportunity areas within the community.
- Fully understand the role that community plays within a variety of functions at Toptal. Begin to identify a roadmap for how community can continue to support those functions.
In the first three months you will:
- Use a data-driven approach to identify strategic growth opportunities within various regions with an emphasis on recruitment, retention, and engagement.
In the first six months you will:
- Identify outreach and partnership opportunities, and ensure communication with key contacts happens successfully.
- Know the ins and outs of the Toptal Community and begin to leverage Community wins in all Toptal functions.
In the first year you will:
- Launch a series of new and innovative engagement initiatives.
- Make it happen. You will be a primary force in driving and shaping new avenues of opportunity for all aspects of the Community function at Toptal.
- A background in the tech industry or startup world, with a strong understanding of events planning and engagement strategy.
- Experience with team-building and scaling operations in a rapidly moving environment.
- You must be a strong public speaker.
- You must be a self-starter with lots of initiative and creativity.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple projects and priorities.
- You need to be comfortable with all aspects of global recruitment and management of global teams, and you must always be an outstanding brand ambassador.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's co-founder and COO, Breanden drives Toptal's growth by building world-class teams and operational infrastructure spanning 40+ countries to meet the talent needs of Toptal's 10,000+ clients. As a frequent writer, Breanden has published articles on leadership of distributed teams and hypergrowth company culture. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, talent, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales. Breanden has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.
- Eryn is a well-seasoned team lead with extensive experience building and implementing successful marketing and launch campaigns for a number of large technology brands. At Toptal, Eryn leads the Community Team which helps tie together initiatives from many areas such as growth, sourcing, marketing, sales, and matching. Eryn is a true digital nomad and has worked and traveled in over 25 countries and is also a Remote Year alumni.