Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As the HR Generalist, you will bring your enthusiasm and passion for HR to each interaction you have with team members. You will be the go-to person for all HR related questions, taking ownership of key day-to-day tasks. Your competency in both US and International HR standards will ensure you are able to answer questions thoroughly and accurately. You will assist in onboarding and offboarding efforts, review processes, and have confidence in working with the tools and systems used throughout the organization.
Your natural ability to be resourceful is essential as you will continuously look for opportunities to jump in in order to make improvements and deliver value to the organization as a whole. You will display the breadth of your HR knowledge through your recommended improvements related to employment law, compliance, employee relations, and benefits. You will help to organize and improve overall processes as well as build the infrastructure to support the growing needs of the organization. Your ability to be a strong communicator and active listener will quickly earn you the reputation of a true trusted advisor in the organization who continuously displays a passion for all things HR.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the United States.
You will be ready and eager to jump in quickly and partner with team members to take on day-to-day HR tasks. Using the variety of tools available to you, you will display your ability to be resourceful in order to quickly accomplish tasks and drive initiatives forward. You will shadow team members to learn best practices then continue to take on independent tasks. You will assist in the building of the infrastructure to support the current team and ensure systems and processes are in place to enable continued organizational growth. You will ensure communications, both written and verbal, are carried out in a manner that builds a reputation for yourself as someone who is trustworthy and a true trusted advisor.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Work with the People Ops team to begin to understand the people processes.
- Begin to handle support related tasks.
- Explore the current tools and resources and understand how they are currently used.
In the first month you will:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of HR processes within Toptal.
- Begin to handle day to day requests and process them independently.
In the first three months you will:
- Continue to develop relationships across the organization.
- Confidently handle day-to-day requests independently.
- Update current processes and collaborate on new initiatives.
- Manage HR items including employee onboarding and offboarding, team member requests, responding to notices, compliance reviews, auditing, etc.
In the first six months you will:
- Reflect on your observations since you started and identify where there are additional areas for improvement.
- Continue to finetune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
In the first year you will:
- Continue to strategize and implement new scalable improvements as the organization grows.
- Be viewed as a true HR expert and trusted advisor throughout the organization.
- You must have outstanding attention to detail.
- You must be driven to push initiatives forward and get things done.
- Your natural tendency to follow through on tasks and see them through to completion will ensure loops are always closed.
- You must understand and value the importance of operational efficiency.
- You must be highly organized.
- Your positive, can-do attitude is something you will bring with you to work daily.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You must be comfortable with working under pressure and adhering to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- You must have the ability to communicate with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience working 100% remote preferred.
- Ability to work well with team members across all functions of the business.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Anywhere in the United States
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Alisa has extensive experience as an HR leader, with a focus on developing HR infrastructure for small business and start-ups. She has a background as an educator, and specializes in coaching, developing, and motivating employees and teams. She has been with Toptal since 2015.
- Cassidy has experience as a Benefits Administrator, Office Manager, and Culture Champion. At Toptal, she works with hiring managers to strategize and plan newcomer onboarding and develops training programs for specific roles. She has a BA from the University of Iowa.