Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
Building a great platform is not possible without having a great infrastructure in place. All of our services are always up and running and this is ensured by the great infrastructure that backs all of them.
As an Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the continued maintenance, improvement, and evolution of Toptal’s infrastructure and the health of all of our applications. Some of your main activities will be deploying and scaling various services, building fault-tolerant application setups, monitoring server and application performance, troubleshooting issues, and ensuring the security and the robustness of our server infrastructure.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. However, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Deploy and scale Toptal products
- Maintain and improve our server infrastructure
- Ensure the security of our server infrastructure
- Monitor servers and applications
- Make strategic technical decisions related to the infrastructure (e.g. deployment and monitoring strategies, replication strategies, etc)
- Onboard and mentor new team members
- Experience deploying and scaling Python/Ruby and JVM applications
- Experience deploying and scaling PostgreSQL & Elasticsearch
- Solid understanding of GNU/Linux (Red Hat/CentOS experience would be considered an advantage)
- Experience with Google’s and Amazon’s cloud platforms
- Background in web/enterprise development
- Experience with monitoring tools like Zabbix, NewRelic, Rollbar, OpsGenie & friends
- Experience with provisioning tools like Ansible, Puppet and Chef (Ansible experience would be considered an advantage)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience setting up and maintaining complex Jenkins deployments (our test suites are huge)
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Be willing to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
If you have experience working remotely, deploying and scaling a large product, managing a team, committing to open source, learning new technologies quickly, and supporting servers that never fail on you, please apply!
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.
- Artem's diverse work background ranges from machine learning consulting to being the CTO of boomstarter.ru. He graduated with honors from Moscow State University with a double major in Mathematics and Computer Science, and has done further research in the field of Game Theory while completing his PhD.