Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-shelf engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will be the face of Toptal for our clients. You will be responsible for communicating with clients and defining requirements for their product ideas. You will ensure that all client projects run smoothly, assembling cross-functional teams of engineers, designers, and more, and working with them to deliver results on-time and on-budget. You will be responsible for managing expectations and keeping Toptal clients happy at all times.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Define requirements and work with relevant cross-functional teams to guarantee smooth, efficient implementation and delivery.
- Lead cross-functional project teams and manage work assignments.
- Define and refine project scope and work approach.
- Ensure that each project has clear goals and timelines.
- Provide project estimation and planning, including being responsible for scheduling, resourcing requirements, and budgeting.
- Perform overall project risk and issue management, and handle detailed tracking and mitigation planning.
- Manage project communications, providing formal and informal status updates both internally and externally.
- Support the analysis and planning of any future customized assessment work.
- Foster a project work environment that promotes productivity, innovation, and fairness.
- Collaborate with sales teams to maintain a large, steady pipeline of full stack development projects.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- A strong technical background and experience discussing any type of technical issue. Former software engineering experience is strongly preferred.
- 3+ years of software product management experience in an agile environment, preferably with experience at software consulting companies.
- A deep understanding of agile software development best practices.
- Capacity to thoroughly understand the functional and technical aspects of complex systems.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to inspire confidence in engineering and executive teams to follow the recommended product direction.
- Proficient business and technical experience, with a strong talent for enabling productive communication between groups.
- Passion and proven talent for launching projects on-time, on-budget, and on-strategy.
- Ability to seamlessly handle multiple projects at once.
- Ability to proactively track progress of all project team members and keep everyone focused on the tasks at hand.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- Mark comes from a background that combines technical training with real-world business experience. Having earned a BSE in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, he began his career in the Linux HPC industry, later transitioning into online marketing and then into technical sales. As VP of Sales at Toptal, he strives to maintain quality relationships with every client as the company grows.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.
- Alvaro has worked as lead developer, ERP engineer, founder, consultant, recruiter, and BI specialist for companies such as Kenos, The Bristol Group, and The Wornick Company. His experience also encompasses working for various Brazilian chemical companies and taking part in several international projects throughout Europe. Alvaro participated in the F.I.R.S.T international robotics competition where his team, sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Brazil, placed third. As a college freshman Alvaro placed third at the Brazilian Nationals for the Microsoft Imagine Cup Competition in the Software Design Category. In high school, he was a Top 10 World Finalist. At Toptal, Alvaro combines his passion for computer science with his recruiting finesse to find extraordinarily talented and passionate developers around the globe.