Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
The Toptal Community features thousands of the world’s top software engineers and designers spread across over 100 countries, many of which collaborate online daily on client and open source projects. As the Online Community Lead, you will work with a high-energy team to increase online engagement, address community needs through creative solutions, and continuously come up with new ways to deliver consistent value to the community via remote initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
As the Online Community Lead, you will be responsible for working directly with Toptal Community Leaders, Community Moderators, and the entire global community to come up with and execute creative, high-impact initiatives that encourage learning, collaboration, and social interaction. You will lead the strategy and execution of large-scale open source associated initiatives designed to provide dedicated support to Toptalers who would like to pursue their open source interests by evaluating the merit of prospective open source projects and determining the allocation of Toptal resources and support. You will also lead the evolution of the Toptal Academy, a program designed to provide high-level educational and professional development resources to the Toptal community, including finding instructors and collaborating on course topics.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of key stakeholders.
In the first month you will:
- Create and implement a system to manage the logistics of the Toptal Open Source Grants and Scholarships programs.
- Own all online communications and initiatives through the Toptal Community Slack group.
In the first three months you will:
- Fully own and operate the Toptal Open Source Grants Program.
- Expand upon the Toptal Academies initiative and identify opportunities to scale.
In the first six months you will:
- Identify outreach opportunities and ensure communication with key contacts happens successfully.
- Know the ins and outs of the Toptal Online Community and begin to leverage Community wins in all Toptal functions.
In the first year you will:
- Ensure all online initiatives are operating and scaling seamlessly.
- Launch a series of new and innovative online engagement initiatives.
- Make it happen. You will be a primary force in driving and shaping new avenues of opportunity for all aspects of the Community philanthropic function at Toptal.
- A strong background in software engineering or design, with broad knowledge across a variety of topics in the tech industry.
- Strong experience in project management with exceptional organizational skills.
- Strong experience with online communities. Moderation experience is preferred.
- Experience as an educator or mentor is preferred.
- You must be conversationally very sharp, with the ability to contribute to conversations across an extremely diverse set of subjects.
- You must be energetic, creative, and proactive, with strong written and verbal communication skills and a keen understanding of how to foster value-providing discussions and initiatives within a community.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple projects and priorities.
- Ability to thoroughly research opportunities and prioritize them based on impact.
- You must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision-making.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Eryn is a well-seasoned team lead with extensive experience building and implementing successful marketing and launch campaigns for a number of large technology brands. At Toptal, Eryn leads the Community Team which helps tie together initiatives from many areas such as growth, sourcing, marketing, sales, and matching. Eryn is a true digital nomad and has worked and traveled in over 25 countries and is also a Remote Year alumni.
- Dror has a BSE in Chemical and Biological Engineering and a minor in Computer Science from Princeton University, where he was the President of the Engineering Honor Society. At Toptal, Dror helps teams across the company scale through improved execution frameworks, analytics, and hiring practices, ensuring that team operating models evolve to support Toptal’s rapid growth. Dror also spends most of his time traveling, frequently visiting Toptalers and Toptal communities around the world.