Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
As the Editor for Design Blog, you will be responsible for ensuring the Toptal Design Blog maintains its world-class publication image for top digital designers. You will be working closely with Toptal’s Design leaders and global network of top UX, UI, Visual, and Interaction designers to write and edit in-depth, thought-leading studies on the most important trends in the digital design world. You will be responsible for helping execute the publication’s topic strategy and maintaining an extremely high-quality bar for all articles. Your attention to detail will help ensure the Toptal Design Blog remains a top design publication on the internet.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will research and analyze the work of leading design publications and help execute the publication strategy for the Toptal Design Blog. You will work with top digital designers from around the world to publish in-depth research on the most important concepts and trends in design. You will ensure that all pieces published meet the high-quality bar set forth by your team. Through your work with designers across a variety of disciplines, you will showcase their expertise through educational studies (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual), designed for an audience of other top designers. You will work with a world-class team of designers and editors to ensure that all pieces published feature compelling visuals and clear, concise thinking. You will stay on the cutting-edge of design industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments and reviewing relevant articles published by other thought-leaders in design.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet the editorial and design team members.
In the first month you will:
- Learn and receive guidance from the lead and team.
- Complete the editing or writing of your first article.
In the first three months you will:
- Continue to learn all the moving parts and ins-and-outs of Toptal processes and tools.
- See through to completion the writing or editing of four to five articles.
In the first six months you will:
- Be fully immersed and familiar with all Toptal processes and tools.
- Improve your writing, content research, and editing skills.
- Completed the publishing of ten articles.
In the first year you will:
- Have elevated your writing and editing skills.
- Be seen as an expert at blog writing, editing, content research, promotion, distribution, and publishing.
- You must have a strong portfolio of studies related to digital design (for example, pieces on design theory, conceptual design explorations, or practical guides on some aspect of design).
- You must have a strong record of successful design work.
- Experience as a freelance designer is preferred.
- Solid writing/editing skills with at least three high-quality blog articles published online.
- Minimum five years design experience preferred.
- You must have a deep understanding of important trends at the top of the design world.
- Your attention to detail must be exceptional.
- You must thrive at working under pressure and adhering to tight deadlines while never sacrificing quality.
- You must have an exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a self-starter who can execute with limited guidance.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Miklos has honed his UX craft in a variety of roles and industries working in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles for more than 16 years. He is a proponent of user-centered design thinking, an ideology that asserts that a user-centric approach to problem-solving can lead to innovation, and innovation can lead to differentiation and a competitive advantage.