Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
You will bring your enthusiasm and passion for Toptal to each interaction you have with new and existing team members. Your desire to learn People best practices and utilize these skills will allow you to support team members through their entire lifecycle with Toptal. You will be a key point of contact and must ensure that you can answer questions thoroughly and accurately for team members in a timely manner.
You will work closely with a People Team Director and People Coordinator and be responsible for the team member lifecycle for a select group of functions at Toptal. More specifically, you will be responsible for the onboarding, offboarding, check-ins, and additional processes throughout a team member’s tenure. You will also assist with review processes and have confidence in working with the tools and systems used throughout the organization.
Your natural ability to stay organized, actively listen, have strong communication skills, maintain confidential information and use excellent judgment is essential for this role. The variety of tasks and projects will vary daily and no day will be the same in this role. We need a team member who will jump in, take initiative to solve problems and deliver value/drive results to the organization as a whole.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be ready and eager to jump in quickly and partner with team members to take on day-to-day People tasks. Using the variety of tools available to you, you will display your ability to be resourceful in order to quickly accomplish tasks and drive initiatives forward. You will shadow team members to learn best practices, and then continue to take on independent tasks. You will assist in the continuous efforts in building the People team’s infrastructure including putting systems and processes in place to support the company’s hypergrowth. You will ensure communications, both written and verbal, are carried out in a manner that builds a reputation for yourself as someone who is trustworthy and a trusted advisor.
Responsibilities for this position will span across the team member’s lifecycle:
Onboarding: You will support the onboarding team and be a backup for day one onboarding as needed. You will ensure all new hire setups are completed for the new hires in the groups you support and be the point of contact to answer any questions for those new team members.
Day-to-Day Support/Questions: You will serve as the main point of contact for day-to-day people questions for the functions/team members that you support and for the specific projects that you are responsible for leading.
Team Member Relations: You will be responsible for regular check-ins with team members; 100-day, 200-day, and stay interviews to track trends and determine action steps as necessary. You will be the first point of contact for team member relations (employee relations) from managers and/or team members.
Team Member Changes: You will be aware of organizational changes and the impact of team member change requests for the groups you support. You will work with the People Coordinator to ensure all necessary change paperwork is processed in a timely manner.
Offboarding: You will be responsible for conducting exit interviews. You will ensure that the offboarding process for departing team members is processed in a timely manner and that team members are provided with the proper information as they depart Toptal.
Projects: You will be responsible for People Team projects, that may include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the company’s global compensation information including doing comparative analysis by region and developing solid business cases to support potential compensation decisions.
- Supporting functional engagement survey initiatives from launch through data analysis via CultureAmp.
- Participation in projects to bring additional role clarity and a well-defined career path through job expectations/job description projects and career mapping exercises.
- Working with the People Director to monitor and report on People data for the groups that you support (internal movement, attrition, etc).
- Working on company-wide rollouts and ensure the tools/platforms are set up for annual people processes such as performance reviews and mid-year check-ins. Partner with Learning & Development on these initiatives to provide team members with tools/support.
In addition, you will serve as a back-up for the other People Team Specialist if he/she is out of the office, or if one team is in greater demand by their functional group or larger projects during a specific time of year. You will work to support one another.
Toptal is a superior environment in which smart, ambitious people can do their best work and grow professionally. You will work with highly motivated Toptalers to optimize People processes designed to enhance productivity at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work with the People team to begin to understand the team processes.
- Divide up the functional groups & begin to handle support-related tasks.
- Explore the current tools and resources and understand how they are currently used.
- Cross-train on onboarding responsibilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of People processes within Toptal.
- Begin to handle day-to-day requests and process them independently.
- Begin regular check-ins with team members including exit interviews as needed.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Continue to develop relationships across the organization.
- Confidently handle day-to-day requests independently.
- Update current processes and collaborate on new initiatives.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Gain ownership over 100-day check-ins and exit/offboarding conversations.
- Reflect on your observations since you started and identify where there are additional areas for improvement.
- Continue to fine-tune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be viewed as a Toptal Ambassador.
- Continue to strategize and implement new scalable improvements as the organization grows.
- Be viewed as a trusted resource throughout the organization.
- 3+ years of directly applicable HR/People experience working with cross-functional global technical teams, preferably in a hypergrowth environment.
- Experience handling difficult situations and diffusing potential issues.
- Strong understanding of compensation fundamentals and the know-how of managing and analyzing such data with ease.
- Expertise with G-Suite.
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems.
- Working knowledge of employment law (both U.S. and globally) or willingness to learn.
- Desire to learn about our people strategy/approach.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- You must be proactive and love interacting with others.
- You must have outstanding attention to detail.
- You must be driven to independently push initiatives forward and get things done.
- Your natural tendency to follow through on tasks and see them through to completion will ensure loops are always closed.
- You must understand and value the importance of operational efficiency.
- You must be highly organized.
- Your positive, can-do attitude is something you will bring with you to work daily.
- Unquestionable judgment.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You must be comfortable with working under pressure and adhering to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- You must have the ability to communicate with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience working 100% remote preferred.
- Ability to work well with team members at all levels, across all functions of the business.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends on occasion to accommodate a global workforce (this is not a 9 to 5 position).
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.