Practice Director - Information Security
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization. In response to our clients’ overwhelming demand for exceptional talent in new areas, we are expanding the breadth and depth of our offerings to further fuel that growth. As Practice Director - Information Security, you will own this practice and be responsible for all aspects of its growth. You will define ambitious goals, chart a course, and be empowered to work across organizational lines to build a world-class practice.
This leader will be a proven expert in Information Security with a deep understanding of target buyers, their priorities, and the trends impacting them. The right candidate for this role will have served in a leadership role in Information Security Services or been an advisor/consultant to those who have. Their knowledge will inform decisions including which services/solutions we build out, how we price/package what we do, and how we create a competitive value proposition now and in the future to meet changing market needs.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere within the United States. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for building and running Toptal’s Information Security Services. This includes:
- Strategy & Services: Which clients/buyers do we target and what problems do we help them solve.
- Marketing: Develop thought leadership and campaigns that highlight our competitive differentiation, elevate our reputation in the market, attract great talent to our network, and generate leads for sales.
- Sales: Understand current/future demand and enable, educate, and directly support the salesforce to best position this practice.
- Talent: Ensure our talent network is prepared to meet the demands of the market (e.g., the right skills in the right capacities) as well as foster an ongoing sense of community amongst the network of professionals in this practice area.
- Delivery: Defining/executing “Toptal way” methodologies for key services/solutions.
This role is highly collaborative and will work extremely closely with our Marketing, Sales, and Talent Operations teams to fulfill the above responsibilities.
The successful executive for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Lead in a highly collaborative way.
- Operate in a high-growth environment.
- Articulate a strategy grounded in an agile execution plan.
- Be comfortable with rolling up sleeves to do the work, demonstrate traction, and build a team over time.
- Make data-informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Walk in the shoes of your audience in order to understand their problems, develop/execute an approach to solve them, and articulate the solution in a clear and compelling way.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Learn about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of our industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Dive deeper into the operations of key teams (e.g., Sales, Talent Operations) across the company.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the current demand in your practice area, talent that exists already in the network, and any work we may already be doing/have done.
- Articulate a hypothesis about where you want to take the practice (strategy) and design experiments / build execution approaches to get there.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Sales (Enterprise/SMB), Marketing, and Talent Operations.
- Be in front of clients on a regular basis to hear from them firsthand.
- Build your practice and begin positively impacting revenue growth.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have moved from purely planning to execution.
- See an impact from your involvement in early initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Feel like you made the best decision of your career.
- Increase the growth rate of Toptal materially.
- 8+ years of experience in your practice area with preferably at least 5+ years in consulting or professional services.
- 5+ years managing a business, preferably with P&L responsibility.
- Track record of rapid career progression achieved by taking on challenging assignments and exceeding expectations.
- Experience packaging, pricing, and delivering compelling solutions.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success building credibility across all levels of an organization. You can develop positive relationships across the business to partner on key initiatives and gain consensus on processes and strategies.
- Confidence in your analysis abilities, with proven success delivering results in ambiguous and sophisticated project efforts.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to take your work, but not yourself, too seriously.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.