Senior Front-end Engineer, Client Portal Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of the Client Portal team, you will provide value to our clients, helping them find and work with the best talent in our network. The team built and is responsible for the main UI that our clients use to interact with our talent. We work closely with our Product team to ensure that all of our clients have the best experience when working with Toptal.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest front-end technologies.
- Get familiar with the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Attend regular and optional meetings. Examples include daily standups, our weekly book club, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- Get high-quality work to production regularly and help your teammates do the same.
- Have the opportunity to use and improve the technologies within the scope of the team.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead a new product initiative together with our Product Manager.
- Participate in company-wide efforts as a part of a task force or guild (e.g. Quality Guild, SOA Task Force).
- Understand the team culture and processes, offer insights to improve its performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will help the whole company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- Have 5+ years of front-end web development experience.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Experience with React, TypeScript, and related technologies.
- Familiarity with GraphQL and Apollo is considered a plus.
- Our back-end code is written in Ruby/Rails, so experience with it is considered a plus: you should be able to perform trivial changes on the back-end on your own.
- Be able to consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, maintainability, implementation time, security, and performance.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- You should be passionate about providing and receiving honest and constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.