Senior Marketing Strategist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company with a strong focus on sustaining a world-class remote work environment for all employees and contractors globally.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Marketing Strategy Manager, you will be responsible for defining marketing strategies across Toptal, including both brand (awareness campaigns, creative ideas, and image-building) and growth (SEO/SEM initiatives, landing pages optimizations, product creation, traffic/user acquisition, and other growth-related initiatives) strategy. You will accomplish this by collaborating with the relevant Executive and Marketing team members. Your primary focus will be to work with the relevant experts within your own team, the Creative, Growth Marketing, Product Marketing, and Market Insights teams to formulate which initiatives to focus on. By understanding the market data, the best ideas from the Marketing teams, and the capabilities that exist within Toptal, you will be expected to work as a leader to build a comprehensive marketing strategy for Toptal’s initiatives, overseeing them to completion. You will be expected to be both a facilitator and generator of world-class marketing ideas that are put into action at Toptal.
- Work with our Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term marketing plans.
- Build forecasts and projections that relate to the expected ROI on marketing campaigns, traffic and user acquisition, and other areas of marketing that require robust and rigid financial analysis.
- Work with the Business Analytics and Market Insights teams, extrapolating insights and turning those insights into actionable strategy that both the Brand and Growth Marketing teams can leverage to create marketing initiatives around.
- Guide the prioritization of key initiatives across Marketing as Toptal scales.
- Ensure the team is maximizing the impact of all marketing-related experiments by maintaining organized playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards which track the states and thresholds related to each experiment.
- Interview and make recommendations on potential candidates across Marketing as the team continues to scale.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible in regards to marketing to talent, prospective clients, and more.
- Help facilitate effective training on marketing-related topics in order to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders are properly educated on how to infuse the best marketing tactics into their content, initiatives, and products to maximum impact.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on the company’s marketing strategy.
- Act as a high-level project manager to all of the marketing-related initiatives that your team is responsible for, ensuring that all initiatives are on time and adequately resourced.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Marketing team and how they work effectively with other teams. You will also be expected to identify many optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth tactics, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing team and all related external teams are working together with Marketing.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all marketing-related initiatives.
- Garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals who you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Have upleveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Have introduced several growth-related tactics that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Marketing is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have scaled the team and work output of Marketing significantly.
- Have demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Marketing function for the long-term.
- You must have at least five years of experience in consulting, strategy, Growth Marketing, or a similar type of role where you leveraged extensive amounts of data in order to draw insights about potential customers and marketing strategies, and thus make decisions on the best path forward based on those insights.
- You must be able to easily classify and understand customer personas in order to create effective marketing strategies that resonate with that precise customer type.
- You must be able to be given a customer and from that, be able to quickly research, analyze, and create marketing strategies around which channel to market to and what type of creative is most likely effective for that type of customer.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates. This needs to hold true for both analytical and creative work.
- You must have a best-in-class, analytical and data-driven background.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- You must be able to determine if the brand and creative execution for any given marketing initiative is of extremely high quality, or not.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading analytical teams at rapidly growing businesses is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading and scaling cross functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skill sets.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
We’re looking for someone who will meticulously analyze and provide insightful feedback on all of the creative, copy, images, growth tactics, and other types of work output related to Marketing initiatives, not simply a high-level strategist. We expect such reviews to be meaningful and to provide insightful feedback to all team members working on a given initiative.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.