Senior Project Manager, Business Operations
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Senior Project Manager, you will be a valuable member of the Business Operations team responsible for partnering with Leadership to plan, manage, and execute major cross-functional initiatives while ensuring critical business outcomes are delivered. The role will report to the Senior Director of Business Operations and will provide you with an opportunity to work cross-functionally alongside a wide variety of teams within a hypergrowth company while advising other team members on project plan creation and overall project management.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
In addition to managing large projects end-to-end, you will draw upon extensive experience to help lead project management methodologies and guide leaders from other functions to consider best practices when identifying project scope, monitoring performance, and reporting on key milestones. In this role, you will frequently run project meetings for senior leadership and the Executive Team, and have the ability to draft clear recommendations to leadership to solve potential risks and blocked dependencies. Through your partnerships with key stakeholders, you will escalate issues at both the project and portfolio level and help to craft and execute solutions. Ongoing, you will help to mentor other Project Managers and business owners in determining and defining project scope and objectives, capacity planning, and managing resources in an effective and efficient manner. You will also work with functional leadership to ensure initiatives are aligned to support function and company-level OKRs.
Your expertise in a wide variety of project types will allow you to make strategic adjustments as needed and measure performance to identify areas for improvement. You will work alongside senior leadership to track approvals and manage cross-functional stakeholder communications. You will bring a strong framework for organization and attention to detail to all of your projects while supporting the Business Operations Leadership.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams and leaders across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and business units.
- Deep dive into understanding Toptal’s Functions and how each supports the company’s mission and objectives.
- Learn about Toptal’s business and operating models.
In the first month, expect to:
- Using your own project management expertise, create detailed project plans for several large cross-functional projects including outlining all project tasks and dependencies.
- Monitor the work done by various departments and teams to ensure project deadlines are met.
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings, escalate roadblocks and ensure proper task prioritization.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Take on the management of additional projects including coordinating with leaders in the Revenue, Talent Operations, and Product departments.
- Deliver a status report and a current state analysis on projects under your management in an ongoing and agreed-upon cadence.
- Assist the Senior Director of Business Operations to build the project management discipline and ensure its ability to scale alongside Toptal’s hyper-growth.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Go through deeper onboarding in key areas of the company that are of strategic importance.
- Experiment and learn rapidly as you build solutions, adapting your approach in real-time by leveraging your knowledge and doing everything it takes to make sure the OKRs of your projects are moving in the right direction.
In the first year, expect to:
- Assist leadership to drive results and operational excellence both within the Business Operations team and throughout the company.
- Work with leaders to improve their own internal initiatives management processes within their teams under our new initiatives management framework.
- Measure the efficacy of your work, iterate, and improve.
- 7-15 years of project management and related operations experience.
- Experience managing projects through their full life cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or a related field preferred.
- Top Project Management Certification preferred including PMI, PMP, PRINCE2, CAPM, CSM, CPMP, CPM or other, or experience equivalent to a Certification.
- Knowledge of Agile, Kanban, and SCRUM preferred. Technical expertise is not required.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to work with a wide range of stakeholders from senior executives to individual contributors.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently, and prioritize execution.
- Resourceful. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with managing your own workflow.
- Adaptable. Comfortable managing changing priorities, learning new skills, and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- Ownership. You are a dependable team member who takes responsibility for your success as well as the success of the entire team.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.