Senior Software Engineering Editor
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Software development meets English editing! If you’ve coded a full-stack, production project through its whole lifecycle, or implemented a cloud computing solution at scale, that’s the sort of experiential knowledge you’ll need to provide constructive criticism on programming-related articles in this role.
As an Editor for the Toptal Engineering Blog, you will help us continue to grow as a world-class English-language publication for top software development experts. Reporting to the Engineering Blog’s Lead Editor, you will be working closely with Toptal’s global network of top computer engineering experts to write and enhance in-depth, thought-leading articles on the most important trends in computer science.
You will be responsible for maintaining an extremely high standard for all articles, with a particular focus on advanced programming tutorials. Stellar writing abilities, ambition, a collaborative spirit, and drive are requirements for this position.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with Toptal network talent to write, edit, and publish high-quality, cutting-edge articles to address key business goals, priority themes, and audience needs.
- Follow the editorial processes of the Toptal Engineering Blog and wider Toptal Publications team to develop, publish, and distribute content in a timely manner.
- Provide editorial assistance from a strategic, high-level view down to the grammatical nitty-gritty, and everything in between, transforming key ideas into clear, concise prose as needed.
- Coordinate with related teams to ensure consistent, on-brand delivery of content and all related components and assets, including text, metadata, and images.
- Perform critical subject-matter reviews for engineering-related content developed by other teams.
- Stay on the cutting edge of industry trends by reviewing articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about Toptal’s Engineering offering and get a sense of the voice of the publication.
- Onboard to the Publications team by meeting with fellow editors and writers and learning about what they do.
- Learn the publishing process and associated tools.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with top engineering experts from around the world to prepare in-depth articles on the most important concepts and trends in engineering, showcasing their expertise through educational articles (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual).
- Become familiar with what an A+ Toptal Engineering article looks like, and develop personal habits and processes to ensure that all pieces to be published will achieve this standard.
- Assist writers of various skill levels in all aspects of writing while maintaining a professional and helpful communication style.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Publish and distribute completed articles, then monitor and facilitate responses to audience feedback.
- Collaborate with peers on the Publications team to contribute ideas for process improvement as needed.
- Collaborate on a conceptual level with colleagues on the Illustrations team to ensure relevant, correct, reader-valuable imagery accompanies technical content where applicable.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Keep collaborators engaged while you continue to balance multiple simultaneous editing assignments.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class talent network and Toptal as a whole.
- Demonstrate the value of joining Toptal’s talent network to those with in-demand skills and expertise.
In the first year, expect to:
- Work to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc.).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent.
- Act on feedback to help ensure writers enjoy working with Toptal Publications and are proud of the end result.
- Depth and variety of hands-on software engineering experience and knowledge of recent best practices.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, with a dedicated focus on development and tech topics.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex concepts, and to explain them in clear, concise, and engaging language.
- Strong knowledge of important events and trends across multiple industries at the top of the engineering/development world.
- Unparalleled attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure when needed, managing tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- An exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards or Toptal’s standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter who is comfortable using common web-based tools and learning new ones as needed.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.