Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As the Social Media Manager at Toptal, you will own, operate, and grow the social media function for a game-changing, industry-defining company, scaling the operations and impact of our social media accounts across all platforms and talent verticals. You will be responsible for quality, tone, messaging, and copy on all social channels, ensuring that Toptal is consistently represented as an elite, authoritative brand to each of its audiences. You will work cross-functionally with team members in Operations, PR, Publications Community, and Growth to grow pipelines of articles, stories, thought leadership, videos, and more, designed to engage with each of Toptal’s audiences. You will also develop strategies for engaging with trusted brands, people, and media outlets that are relevant to Toptal, and will develop systems for measuring the impact of these strategies.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will be responsible for scaling the operations and impact of Toptal’s social media accounts across all platforms and verticals. This includes Toptal’s main brand account, as well as dedicated accounts for each talent vertical, across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram. You will develop and improve processes for continuously sourcing thought leadership material for each platform and audience, working with key stakeholders across the company to source authoritative analyses, tutorials, op-eds, stories, etc. both written by Toptal and by third parties. You will build and maintain lists of trusted brands, media outlets, and people in each space and strategies for engaging with them. You will also build processes for responding to credible brand mentions in a timely, authoritative way. Finally, you will develop systems for tracking the impact of all social media strategies, and will have the opportunity to scale your function as you show its impact.
To succeed in this role, you will be expected to take first principles frameworks and intelligently apply them to new situations. To be successful in this role, you must be comfortable making effective decisions in ambiguous environments, and must not be someone who needs extensively defined rules. You will be expected to holistically own social media at Toptal, improving upon existing best practices and doing everything yourself as you think through how to scale the function long-term.
In the first week, you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the future of work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, you will:
- Begin taking over operations of Toptal’s social media accounts one-by-one, ensuring successful handoff and maintenance of quality as you go.
- Review posting frequency and quality across channels and develop prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Review existing processes for continuously sourcing thought leadership for each of our audiences and social platforms and develop prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Begin developing processes for engaging with all credible questions/comments/issues raised to Toptal across social media platforms.
- Continue onboarding by diving deeper into the operations of key teams across the company, including understanding their upcoming roadmaps and building strategies for social media to support initiatives that are in progress.
In the first three months you will:
- Execute prioritized backlog of planned improvements to post frequency and quality across platforms, content pipelines, and engagement strategies.
- Develop lists of trusted, authoritative brands, media outlets, and people for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with strategies for engaging with each.
- Develop processes for staying up to date on industry news for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with processes for continuously updating our lists of trusted, authoritative social media accounts and strategies for engagement.
- Begin creating analytics dashboards to continuously monitor the impact of each of Toptal’s social media accounts, with a focus on measuring engagement with each of our audiences.
In the first six months you will:
- Ensure all social media accounts are consistently and reliably posting frequently enough, always maintaining quality, and engaging with their audiences, systematically finding ways to remove bottlenecks to this goal.
- Develop a long-term social media roadmap and vision that incorporates strategy for ongoing initiatives around the company, as well as strategy for elevating Toptal’s trust within each of its audiences.
- As operations stabilize, the quality of our social media presence remains high, and workload exceeds bandwidth, begin hiring additional Social Media Managers and build a Social Media Team.
- Leverage analytics dashboards to measure the efficacy of ongoing strategies and develop new data-backed initiatives to increase the impact of Toptal’s social media operations.
- You must have a strong understanding of best practices across all social media platforms.
- You must be capable of and eager to learn quickly, diving into new industries, trends, and concepts with ease.
- You must excel at collaborating with subject matter experts to understand what is authoritative and what is not, and be capable of translating that into campaigns and messaging strategies.
- Strong understanding of the components of compelling, authoritative communications.
- Familiarity with the technology and talent industry is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage multiple social media accounts across multiple platforms simultaneously.
- A demonstrated ability to engage technologists, designers, finance experts, enterprise thought leaders on talent, etc. is a plus.
- Experience in digital marketing or communications at a tech startup is preferred, especially one focusing on the enterprise.
- You must be a self-starter with initiative, creativity, and drive.
- Ownership. You must take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You must be comfortable giving and receiving frequent feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal’s Director of Operations, Dror works with teams across the company to build their strategic direction, execution frameworks, KPIs/analytics, and team structures, helping Toptal teams evolve to support and drive Toptal’s continued growth. Dror leverages in-depth experience working within a range of Toptal’s operational teams to ensure best practices are surfaced, adopted, and evolved across the company. Dror has a BSE in Chemical and Biological Engineering and a minor in Computer Science from Princeton University.