Strategy and Operations Manager - Talent Operations
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Toptal network includes thousands of top engineers, designers, finance experts, project managers, and more from over 100 countries, working with leading companies on mission-critical projects.
As the Strategy and Operations Manager - Talent Operations at Toptal, you will be responsible for building a world-class talent supplier network that enables Toptal to grow talent supply to meet rapidly growing demand. You will own Toptal’s supplier on-boarding and performance programs end-to-end, including designing the strategy, establishing operating models and processes, measuring results, and scaling to over a thousand partners in our network.
As a new function with Executive-level visibility, we are striving to build a comprehensive supplier strategy that will include identifying and establishing relationships with high potential partners, pressure testing capabilities, establishing on-boarding procedures, creating and deploying supplier scorecards and managing overall performance of partners. As a part of the Talent Supply team, you will work to establish and monitor KPIs to measure effectiveness and scale programs in an ROI-positive manner.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
Your objective is to grow the number of talent sourcing partnerships and increase the ability of the partners to scale their own organizations, while maintaining high quality talent standards. You will define the process for qualifying and on-boarding partners. This includes working with Product to improve the partner’s platform experience and evaluating the partner’s ability to scale.
In addition to growing the breadth and depth of the talent sourcing partner program, you will establish scorecards to measure partner performance and work with Talent Success to implement partner development programs. This includes building strong relationships with points of contact, creating a feedback loop for both sides to provide input on the other’s performance, and providing transparency to partners on our demand trends.
Another important objective is related to the balance of supply and demand. Certain talent skills are in higher demand than others within the Toptal network. You will utilize our internal supply modeling and forecast tools to develop a buffer strategy to prevent talent shortages for the high demand skills while also avoiding on-boarding too many talents if a shortage of opportunities exists for talent with a specific skill set. You will leverage the talent partner program, as well as technical recruiters, to establish the buffers and maintain a healthy pipeline.
Additional responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- In coordination with the Product team, develop the platform experience for talent sourcing partners.
- Use KPIs to prove impact and scale the program.
- Assist in developing the long-term talent supply strategy.
- Improve scale and efficiency of pipeline recruiting techniques.
- Identify and execute on opportunities to improve our services by gathering talent feedback, analyzing data to identify trends, and communicating findings to various audiences and partnering cross-functionally with key leaders and teams.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about the core of the Toptal service by shadowing calls with clients and Talent.
- Learn the structures and capabilities of the Talent-facing teams at Toptal, with a particular focus on understanding the goals, processes, and ongoing projects within the Talent Operations and Talent Supply teams.
In the first month, expect to:
- Learn how to use the supply modeling and forecasting tools to assess supply health.
- Learn how the current Talent Sourcing Partner program works.
- Start developing relationships with the already established partners.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a framework for the talent partner performance evaluation.
- Establish a process to identify, prioritize and on-board new talent sourcing partners.
- Set long-term vision on how the talent partner program is expected to contribute to Talent Supply over time.
- Begin building requirements with the product team to update the platform as needed to accommodate the new process changes.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Monitor quality of partners and implement action plans to improve quality where needed.
- Provide data to partners to ensure transparency around our demand forecasts.
- Grow the number of talent in partnerships to be a large percentage of overall talent activations.
In the first year, expect to:
- Build a team of strong performers to partner with you on the growth of the Talent Sourcing Partner program at scale.
- Have sufficient talent supply available from talent partners to be able to staff large teams within 24 hours.
- 3+ years experience in a management consulting or engineering role, preferably with experience leading and developing teams.
- Strong understanding of SQL.
- Experience implementing supplier development programs and/or supplier scorecard management is a plus.
- Strong bias towards hands-on action and learning through rapid experimentation.
- Demonstrated ability to solve difficult problems through first principles reasoning.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguous environments by making initial assumptions and revising strategy as new information becomes available.
- Communication. Our clients are global, our Talent community is global, and our core team is global. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to speak to a wide range of stakeholders and team members, across a wide range of geographies.
- Strong knowledge of the consulting, professional services, and/or Talent space is preferred. Prior work in a technical environment with direct exposure to software engineering, and an understanding of underlying concepts (i.e. code review, unit testing, code documentation) is an added bonus.
- You need to be open to giving and receiving challenging feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.