Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Team Lead at Toptal you will work with engineers, designers, product managers, engineering managers, architects, and the CTO to develop and deliver the highest quality products into the market. You will lead an engineering team, shaping it for the success in terms of product and technical excellence.
We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Set goals for your team and team members.
- Understand the big picture of what your team is doing and why.
- Inspire and motivate your team.
- Identify your stakeholders and communicate with them regularly and proactively.
- Communicate proactively with your Product Manager and their team.
- Maximise team happiness and productivity.
- Create a productive and enjoyable work environment for the team.
- Establish proper feedback loops in your team and give your team members immediate feedback if necessary.
- Participate in regular performance reviews.
- Facilitate technical discussions.
- Resolve technical and social conflicts.
- Ensure the overall output quality of the team.
- Mentor team members.
- Bring up difficult and/or systemic challenges and impediments to the attention of your manager.
- As a Team Lead you are first and foremost a leader, not a developer. However, you stay up to date with programming related topics and make sure that you get your hands dirty on a regular basis. You work shoulder-to-shoulder with your team when the situation is required.
- Initiate discussions about personal and career growth with your direct reports.
We are expecting from you to:
- Have previous experience leading an engineering team.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Have experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Have experience in facilitating even the most heated discussions with conflict resolution.
- Excel at organizing your own tasks and communicating your status. Proactively reach out to your team members to make sure and potentially coach them on organizing their work.
- Be proficient in managing all the stakeholders that are directly affected by what your team is working on and you are able to communicate expectations in a clear and concise way.
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback.
For Toptal Use Only: #individualcontributorEurope
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.