Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As an Engineering Team Lead at Toptal you will work with engineers, designers, product managers, our VP of Engineering, and CTO to develop and deliver the highest quality products into the market.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere; however, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Grow, develop, and lead an engineering team.
- Identify and eliminate distractions to the teams.
- Create and provide regular feedback loops.
- Onboard and mentor new team members.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure team is delivering high-value results.
- Anticipate, plan, and effectively work to resolve future challenges.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Oversee the implementation of engineering best practices.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack and other communication channels.
- Previous experience leading an engineering team.
- You must have 5+ years of web development experience—preference given to candidates who have experience with large applications of some scale.
- You must have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- You must have experience developing a web framework—with Ruby on Rails a plus.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.
- Alexander started as a senior developer at NetCracker Technology Corp. before moving to a technical manager position, leading teams of up to 10 developers. He then switched his focus to start-ups, and, as the technical co-founder, implemented several projects from scratch. For a year he was employed as CTO at glavskidka.ru, where he was involved in both business processes and development, while building the development team and the product from the ground up. At Toptal, Alexander combines his experience in both corporate and start-up environments to lead internal technological development. Alexander has a MS in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and does further research in Computer-Human Interaction while completing a PhD at the Institute of Control Sciences of RAS.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.