Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
As an Engineering Team Lead at Toptal you will work with engineers, designers, product managers, our VP of Engineering, and CTO to develop and deliver the highest quality products into the market.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Grow, develop, and lead an engineering team.
- Identify and eliminate distractions to the teams.
- Create and provide regular feedback loops.
- Onboard and mentor new team members.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure team is delivering high-value results.
- Anticipate, plan, and effectively work to resolve future challenges.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Oversee the implementation of engineering best practices.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack and other communication channels.
- Previous experience leading an engineering team.
- You must have 5+ years of web development experience—preference given to candidates who have experience with large applications of some scale.
- You must have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- You must have experience developing a web framework—with Ruby on Rails a plus.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's CTO, Alexander is the technical leader of Toptal's 20+ core engineering teams, focusing on technical innovation across Toptal's state-of-the-art platform and associated products, including building a new programming language that powers Toptal's operational infrastructure and other architectural investments that are core to Toptal's ability to innovate. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.