Technical Product Manager
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Interested in being a part of shaping the future of work? The Technical Product Manager at Toptal will help us scale for our continued growth as a groundbreaking, industry-defining company! This role will lead technical projects and work across multiple engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery. Also, they are passionate about engineering excellence and ensuring their teams are delivering high-value results.
This is a remote position, where one can work from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Only resumes and communication submitted in English will be accepted.
Be a steward for the products and projects being lead and managed. Act as a Product Manager within Toptal’s Technical Excellence and Exploration department and report directly to the VP of Engineering. Drive impact through projects, and upon the goals delivered by the team. Constantly be looking for ways to improve our products, workflow, technology stack, cross-team collaboration, communication, and engineering efficiency! Work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our Bootcamp team and begin integrating into Toptal. Embrace learning.
- Seek to learn as much as possible about our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Transition from our Bootcamp team and begin independently working on meaningful projects at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include a weekly Technical Excellence and Exploration call, regular Scrum sprint plannings, dailies and retrospectives, and the once a month Engineering All-Hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be leading 1-3 technical projects.
- Understand the existing technical impediments and begin addressing them.
- Coordinate and lead team planning meetings.
- Ensure the product roadmap is well thought out and feasible for each team.
- Build regular feedback loops and be in constant daily communication with other engineering teams. Be collaborative.
- Be in consistent contact with key business partners.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Drive excellence in engineering and be part of a team that delivers high-quality results.
- Be involved in constructive conversations and give suggestions on improving code quality.
- Continue to increase the potential and performance of the teams.
- Engage in interviewing for Toptal and hire outstanding people.
In the first year, expect to:
- Continue to identify and prioritize the elimination of technical obstacles and bottlenecks.
- Conduct performance reviews.
- Continue to grow, develop, and manage the products while identifying future opportunities for improvement.
- Drive consensus and results across teams.
- Help guide and direct the technical development and innovation strategy.
- Have solid technical background. Experience with Ruby, Rails, and distributed application architectures will be considered a plus.
- Previous experience managing multiple projects/products. Experience as a people manager is a huge plus.
- Be an expert in Agile product development/project management.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead/product/project manager.
- Have experience guiding the continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Excel at ownership. Take responsibility for the success of technical projects.
- Take quality as a foundation for everything. Our team takes pride in everything delivered as a reflection of ability, knowledge, and hard work.
- Think abstractly, while paying attention to essential details at the same time.
- Have the ability to take knowledgeable risks and foster new ideas.
- Have outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Communicate clearly and consistently with teams.
##### For Toptal Use Only: #individualcontributorEurope