Technical Product Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Technical Product Manager at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will lead technical projects and work across multiple engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery while driving engineering excellence and ensuring teams are delivering high-value results.
We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be a steward for the products and projects that you lead and manage. You will act as a Product Manager within Toptal’s Technical Excellence and Exploration department and report directly to the Senior Director of R&D. You will drive impact through the projects you run and the goals you deliver on. You will be constantly looking for ways to improve our products, workflow, technology stack, cross-team collaboration, communication, and engineering productivity. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your introduction to Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin working on your first projects at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include a weekly Technical Excellence and Exploration call, regular Scrum sprint planings, dailies and retrospectives, and the once-a-month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be leading 1-3 technical projects.
- Understand the existing technical impediments and begin addressing them.
- Drive team planning meetings.
- Ensure the product roadmap is well thought out and feasible for each team.
- Create regular feedback loops and be in constant daily communication with your teams.
- Be in consistent communication with key stakeholders.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure teams are delivering high-quality results.
- Be involved in architectural conversations and give suggestions on improving code quality.
- Continue to increase the potential and performance of the teams.
- Engage in interviewing for Toptal and hire exceptional people.
In the first year, expect to:
- Continue to identify and eliminate technical obstacles and bottlenecks.
- Conduct performance reviews.
- Continue to grow, develop, and manage the products while identifying future opportunities for improvement.
- Drive consensus and results across teams.
- Help guide and direct the technical improvement and innovation strategy.
We are expecting from you to:
- Have solid technical background. Experience with Ruby, Rails, and distributed application architectures will be considered a plus.
- Have previous experience managing multiple projects/products. Past experience as a people manager will be considered a plus.
- Be an expert in Agile product development/project management.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead/product/project manager.
- Have experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Excel at ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the technical projects.
- Take quality as a foundation for everything. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Think abstractly, while paying attention to important details at the same time.
- Have the ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Communicate clearly and constantly with teams.