VP of Marketing Strategy
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the VP of Marketing Strategy, you will be responsible for creating the entire marketing strategy for Toptal, including both brand (awareness campaigns, creative ideas, and image-building) and growth (SEO/SEM initiatives, landing pages optimizations, product creation, traffic/user acquisition, and other growth-related initiatives) strategy. You will accomplish this by collaborating with the relevant Executive and Marketing team members. Your primary focus will be to work with the relevant experts within your own team, the Creative team, Growth Marketing team, Product Marketing team, and Market Insights team to formulate which initiatives to focus on. By understanding the market data, the best ideas from the Brand and Growth teams, and the capabilities that exist within Toptal, you will be expected to work with your team of strategists to build a comprehensive marketing strategy for Toptal and oversee each initiative within the strategy to completion. You will be expected to be both a facilitator and generator of world-class marketing ideas that are put into action at Toptal. By facilitating, generating, organizing, planning, and seeing through to execution of all marketing ideas at Toptal, you will lead Toptal’s marketing strategy from every aspect.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term marketing plans.
- Help craft and sustain KPIs that each functional area of the Marketing team needs to execute effectively within the context of the larger functional goals.
- Build forecasts and projections that relate to the expected ROI on marketing campaigns, traffic and user acquisition, and other areas of marketing that require robust and rigid financial analysis.
- Work with the Business Analytics and Market Insights teams extrapolating insights and turning those insights into an actionable strategy that both the Brand and Growth Marketing teams can leverage to create marketing initiatives around.
- Guide the prioritization of Marketing-related initiatives across both Brand and Growth Marketing teams as the Toptal scales.
- Ensure the team is maximizing the impact of all brand and growth experiments by maintaining organized playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards which track the states and thresholds related to each experiment.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to scale.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible within both Brand and Growth Marketing.
- Help facilitate effective training on Marketing-related topics in order to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders are properly educated on how to infuse the best marketing tactics into their content, initiatives, and products to maximum impact.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on the company’s marketing strategy.
- Act as a high-level project manager to all of the marketing-related initiatives that your team is responsible for, ensuring that all initiatives are on time and adequately resourced.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom, and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Marketing team and how they work effectively with other teams. You will also be expected to identify many optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth tactics, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related- external functions are working together with Marketing.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high-quality level for all Marketing-related initiatives.
- Have garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Have up-leveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Have introduced several growth-related tactics that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Marketing is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have scaled the team and work output of Marketing significantly.
- Have demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Marketing function for the long term.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates. This needs to hold true for both analytical and creative work.
- Demonstrated experience growing revenue at scale via performance marketing within a B2B technology or services company.
- You must have a best-in-class, analytical and data-driven background.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- You must be able to determine if the brand and creative execution for any given marketing initiative is of extremely high quality, or not.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading analytical teams at rapidly growing businesses is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading and scaling cross-functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skill sets.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
We’re looking for someone who will meticulously analyze and provide insightful feedback on all of the creative, copy, images, growth tactics, and other types of work output related to Marketing initiatives, not simply a high-level strategist. We expect such reviews to be meaningful and to provide insightful feedback to all team members working on a given initiative. All Executive and Senior Leadership Team members at Toptal are required to have full control and ownership over the work output relating to their functions and sub-functions.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.