Social Media Director
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Social Media Director to join our Marketing team. This role will report to our Vice President of Communications. We are looking for someone to help develop our social media content strategy, and then manage the day-to-day implementation of that strategy. Are you passionate about crafting compelling and unique content customized for each social platform? If so, we encourage you to apply!
In this role, you will ensure that the quality, tone, messaging, and copy are consistently represented as an elite, authoritative brand to each of its unique and respective audiences, including current and potential clients and freelance talent. This person will work cross-functionally with team members in Creative, Communications, Publications, Community, and Growth to grow pipelines of photos, graphics, videos, carousels, stories, polls, threads, and other content formats designed to engage with each of our audiences.
Our ideal candidate lives and breathes social media and is comfortable making best practice recommendations in ambiguous environments. You will be expected to act as the social media gatekeeper at Toptal, ensuring that all content published on our channels is up to brand standards and industry best practices.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Scale the operations and impact of our social media accounts across all platforms and verticals.
- Develop strategies for growing our social communities and increasing engagement within those communities as they grow, including a mix of paid and unpaid tactics.
- Own the management of the social media content calendar, ensuring that all content is up-to-date, accurate, and approved by internal partners.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to brief, concept, create, review, and refine social content assets.
- Build social media plans for priority events, in order to ensure we’re engaging before, during, and after events occur.
- Proactively monitor social media content trends and innovations, identifying places with natural brand applications.
- Track the impact of all social media efforts, demonstrating the efficacy of your function and feeding into the overall Social Media Analytics dashboard.
- Manage a team including a social media manager and social content strategist, and scale the team as needed to meet evolving business priorities.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become introduced with, and suggest optimizations for, our current process for creating Always On content and planning our social content calendar.
- Review our historical paid & organic social performance and incorporate the insights into future planning.
- Conduct an audit of innovative social content developed by other brands, and develop POVs on how it might be applicable to Toptal.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a comprehensive Social Media Content Playbook, and become the key stakeholder tasked with executing it.
- Develop a turnkey strategy for reactive social engagement, providing guidance for our Social Media Manager to respond to comments in real-time.
- Continuously monitor and report on content performance, platform updates, and innovative content in the landscape.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Re-evaluate the strategies contained in the Social Media Content Playbook, developing updated benchmarks, strategies, and content approaches as needed.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to put updated strategies and content approaches into action.
In the first year, expect to:
- Develop and pitch ideas for how to expand the scope of Toptal’s social presence in 2022.
- Consistently produce work that is capable of driving both business outcomes and positive press/awards.
- 7+ years experience working as a Social Media Manager/Strategist or Digital Content Strategist, preferably in the technology or talent industry, targeting B2B audiences.
- Strong understanding of best practices and passion for crafting content across all social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Experience building content frameworks, flywheels, and/or strategies that grow and engage communities on social media.
- Experience working with art directors, copywriters, designers, and videographers to produce assets optimized for social.
- Strong understanding of both paid and organic social media strategy.
- Agency experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Self-starter with initiative, creativity, and drive.
- Ownership: you must take responsibility for Toptal’s public image as expressed in social media.
- Quality: you take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself and the brand.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You consistently stay up-to-date on emerging social media trends and platforms and can make recommendations on whether or not to apply those changes and/or optimize.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.