Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As an Engineering Manager at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will lead and work across multiple engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery while driving engineering excellence and ensuring teams are delivering high-value results.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will be a technical and people steward for the teams you lead and manage. You will act as a mini-CTO within Toptal and report directly to the VP of Engineering. You will drive impact through the relationships you develop and the goals you deliver on. You will be constantly looking for ways to improve our products, workflow, technology stack, and to grow and develop the people under your management. You will provide hands-on guidance and excel with Ruby on Rails. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space, while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week you will:
- Join our bootcamp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month you will:
- Transition from our bootcamp team and begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include a weekly Engineering Manager call and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months you will:
- Be leading three to four engineering teams.
- Be working hands-on with these development teams.
- Understand the teams’ impediments and begin improving them.
- Be involved in team planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Ensure the product roadmap is well thought out and feasible for each team.
- Create regular feedback loops and be in constant daily communication with your teams.
- Make sure that every team is properly staffed and supported.
- Ensure that individuals are energized and motivated by their work.
- Oversee and drive the implementation of engineering best practices.
In the first six months you will:
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure teams are delivering high-quality results.
- Be involved in architectural conversations and give suggestions on improving code quality.
- Continue to increase the potential and performance of the teams.
- Collaborate on personal career paths and goals for everyone on the teams.
- Engage in interviewing for Toptal and hire exceptional people.
In the first year you will:
- Continue to identify and eliminate team distractions.
- Conduct performance and salary reviews.
- Continue to grow, develop, and manage the teams while identifying future leaders within Toptal.
- Drive consensus and results across teams.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Previous experience managing multiple engineering teams.
- Web development of large scale applications.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Provide hands-on guidance. Post-technical doesn’t apply to you.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's CTO, Alexander is the technical leader of Toptal's 20+ core engineering teams, focusing on technical innovation across Toptal's state-of-the-art platform and associated products, including building a new programming language that powers Toptal's operational infrastructure and other architectural investments that are core to Toptal's ability to innovate. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.