Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Engineering Manager at Toptal, you will work with engineers, designers, product managers, engineering managers, architects, and the CTO to develop and deliver the highest quality products into the market. You will lead an engineering team, shaping it for success in terms of product and technical excellence.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Set goals for your team and team members.
- Understand the big picture of what your team is doing and why.
- Inspire and motivate your team towards maximum happiness and output.
- Communicate with stakeholders regularly and proactively.
- Communicate proactively with your Product Manager and their team.
- Create a productive and enjoyable work environment for the team.
- Establish feedback loops in your team and give your team members immediate feedback
- Participate in regular performance reviews.
- Facilitate, and when necessary resolve technical and interpersonal discussions.
- Ensure the overall output quality of the team.
- Mentor team members and collaborate with them on personal and career growth.
- Bring up difficult and/or systemic challenges and impediments to the attention of your manager.
In the first week, expect to:
- Start Bootcamp by being introduced to Toptal and its culture, meeting colleagues, and getting access to documentation and repositories.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete Bootcamp, having pushed code to production and being introduced to your future teammates.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be working with your team and understand its mission and roadmap.
- Conduct regular 1:1s with your teammates, and begin to understand their strengths and aspirations.
- Be leading your team’s efforts from planning to delivery.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have set and followed through at least one full quarter of OKRs.
- Build a deep understanding of the mission, constraints, and capabilities of your team and squad.
- Develop relationships with engineers, team leads, and other colleagues to maximize cross-collaboration whenever beneficial.
- Contribute improvement suggestions at an Engineering-wide and even Company-wide level.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have led the shipping of at least one major feature in your team having a company-wide impact.
- Organize at least one team gathering.
- Have defined yearly OKRs with and for your team.
- Be first and foremost a leader, not a developer. However, you stay up to date with programming-related topics and work shoulder-to-shoulder with your team when required.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have previous experience leading an engineering team.
- Have a solid grasp of OOP, databases, development, and automated testing methodologies.
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Have experience guiding the continuous improvement of processes and technology.
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.