Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-shelf engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As an Engineering Manager at Toptal you will work with engineers, designers, product managers, our VP of Engineering, and CTO to deliver the highest quality products into the market.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere; however, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Lead and work across multiple engineering teams to improve workflow and delivery.
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure teams are delivering high-value results.
- Anticipate, plan, and effectively work to resolve future challenges.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Drive consensus and results across teams.
- Grow, develop, and manage the teams.
- Oversee the implementation of engineering best practices.
- Identify and eliminate distractions to the teams.
- Create and provide regular feedback loops.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Skype and other communication channels.
- Previous experience managing multiple engineering teams.
- Web development of large scale applications.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.
- Alexander started as a senior developer at NetCracker Technology Corp. before moving to a technical manager position, leading teams of up to 10 developers. He then switched his focus to start-ups, and, as the technical co-founder, implemented several projects from scratch. For a year he was employed as CTO at glavskidka.ru, where he was involved in both business processes and development, while building the development team and the product from the ground up. At Toptal, Alexander combines his experience in both corporate and start-up environments to lead internal technological development. Alexander has a MS in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and does further research in Computer-Human Interaction while completing a PhD at the Institute of Control Sciences of RAS.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.