Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you looking to play a meaningful role in how an organization uses data to make confident, trustworthy decisions? Toptal prides itself on being data-centric, and we are looking for a Data Analyst to drive business impact and better decision making by laying the data foundation for an elite analytics function!
Our Data Analysts focus on building a data environment that is conducive to analytics. Crafting such an environment will require data governance, data modeling, technical communication, quality control, and in-depth data analysis. You will be the product owner for our data warehouse–while you won’t directly own ETL processes, you will provide SQL logic, priorities, and requirements to our Data Engineering team.
This role sits within our new Business Analytics Center of Excellence and will ensure reliable data is available for all downstream data users (business analysts, data scientists, and report developers). Positive relationships with both data engineers and business analysts are critical, and ability to think independently and not just take orders. To be successful in this role, you must live and breathe SQL daily and be a critical thinker, problem-solver, and self-starter.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Translate business definitions into SQL logic that can be embedded in our data warehouse and used for reporting and analytics
- Proactively extract insights from data analysis and find opportunities to improve data operations, accuracy, coverage, integrity, structure, and general usability
- Map business processes to their corresponding data flows
- Build a data strategy and policies to govern data inputs, outputs, processing, access, security, and usage
- Document all data elements, metrics, dimensions, sources, limitations, logic, usage, and definitions in comprehensive data dictionaries
- Provide requirements, prioritize, and manage the backlog with Data Engineering
- Work closely with colleagues to empower decision making that is fueled by data
- Train end users on data usage, complexities, nuances, and limitation
In the first week expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision
- Shadow critical teams within the organization to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including Growth, Talent Operations, Enterprise, and SMB
In the first month expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored
- Understand our ETL processes, timing, tools, monitoring, roadmap, and challenges
- Understand our source systems, and where they fit into our business processes
In the first three months expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements
- Begin standardizing definitions and building SQL logic to push definitions into the data layer
- Begin certifying metrics and dimensions, checking for quality and accuracy
- Begin documenting data flows, definitions, calculation methodologies, and data elements in detailed data dictionaries
In the first six months expect tol:
- Start to transition users away from old metrics and definitions
- Contribute to the alignment and standardization of metric definitions across the company
In the first year expect to:
- Play a critical part in setting up our new Center of Excellence for success
- Be seen as an authority on all things data
- Have established a centralized, certified, official data repository as a single source of truth
- 3+ years of experience in data science, data analysis, analytics, business intelligence, or reporting
- Experience in doing exploratory/raw data analysis, data modeling, and data governance (quality, accuracy, coverage, security, etc.)
- Experience translating business logic and objectives into SQL code and linking data and analytics to business strategy and operations to drive real impact
- Detail obsessed, systematic, and thorough
- Strong professional skepticism; you will need to challenge assumptions
- Very proficient in SQL; experience with R, Python, or MATLAB a plus
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.)
- Solid technical background in math, science, engineering, or statistics
- Working knowledge of business processes and statistics
- Extraordinary teammate that builds positive relationships and establishes trust with business leaders, engineers, and business analytics colleagues
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to explain complex issues in a simple and intuitive way
- Work independently and across functions; take ownership of quality, accuracy, and timeliness of your work
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here to tell other people what to do.