Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for talented Rails developers to help us reach the next level.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on many of our various Rails projects with a team of highly skilled Rails experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Rails every single day, and we’d love for you to help us get even further. The bulk of the work we do on a daily basis is pure back-end development, but occasionally some new UI has to be wired up, so some front-end skills on your part certainly won’t hurt.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we create beautifully architected Rails apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Integrate user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs and devise elegant solutions.
- Make strategic technical decisions related to new products and functionality.
- Help maintain code quality.
- Onboard and mentor new team members.
- You must have 3+ years of web development experience—preference given to candidates who have experience with large applications of some scale.
- You must have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- You must have experience developing a web framework—with Ruby on Rails a plus.
- Be excited about deploying to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Be willing to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #individualcontributor
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's Chief Software Architect. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.