Senior iOS Engineer, Mobile Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an iOS Engineer at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. We use both UIKit and SwiftUI to create native views in our apps. Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and you might learn some of it along the way too.
By joining the Mobile team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of meaningful initiatives and projects with a team of highly skilled members from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
The work we do every day is purely in Swift. We try to stay on the cutting edge of technology and use Combine and SwiftUI in our products. And if you’re looking for an opportunity to grow Android skills this is the place for you - we encourage cross platform collaboration.
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working directly on the Talent app used by thousands of Toptal freelancers. You will have the opportunity to develop new features and improve the quality of the existing codebase.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed native mobile apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Design, build and maintain outstanding, reusable, and reliable Swift code.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Build innovative and heavy graphics interfaces that run well on desktop and mobile.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Get familiar with our iOS app architecture and all the tools that we use. Learn about the processes that we follow.
- Submit your first Pull Request.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on regular team tasks related to the migration and become familiar with the business domain.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand the application, and general mobile app architecture.
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest iOS technologies.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for certain areas, and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside our team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in a quarterly review cycle.
- Significant iOS experience (5+) with at least one large native application deployed to the App Store (ideally 2 or more).
- Deep understanding of Swift.
- Profound knowledge of UIKit.
- Major experience with UI/unit testing - almost all of our production code is covered with tests.
- Fundamental knowledge of software design patterns such as MVVM, Clean Architecture.
- Understanding of how threading and memory management work in mobile apps.
- A keen eye for amazingly looking UI and knowledge on how to write awesome animations
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- You should be passionate about providing and receiving honest and constructive feedback.
- You should be willing to constantly learn and improve your skills to become a truly autonomous specialist.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.